Xbox 720 could be delayed due to chip problems

Bullet Sep 6, 2012

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

Microsoft is rumoured to be facing manufacturing problems that could result in a delay to its planned Xbox 720 launch in September 2013.
    That's according to tech site SemiAccurate, which claims that a chip for the console referred to as 'Oban' is producing "painfully low" yields (a measure of functioning devices).
    Microsoft has reportedly outsourced production to three separate factories in the hope that one will come up with a fix.
    Supply chain sources told the site that the platform holder's launch schedule can accommodate a six to eight week delay before Microsoft would have to delay its planned Xbox 720 release in September 2013.
    The site also says of the Xbox 720's innards: "SemiAccurate has been saying for a while that all signs were pointing toward a PowerPC, specifically an IBM Power-EN variant.
    "The dark horse was an x86 CPU, but it was a long shot. It looks like the long shot came through, moles are now openly talking about AMD x86 CPU cores and more surprisingly, a newer than expected GPU. How new? HD7000 series, or at least a variant of the GCN cores, heavily tweaked by Microsoft for their specific needs."
    EA Labels president Frank Gibeau suggested last week that Xbox 720 and PS4 are due to launch "in about a year's time". More recently, he labelled next gen consoles the company's currently making games for "spectacular".

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/366853/chip-problems-could-delay-xbox-720s-planned-september-2013-launch/

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. MeDo2201

MeDo2201 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    thanks for the news

3. Siick1

Siick1 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    hmm... i hope the 720 still comes out in 2013, the 360 feels outdated now

4. th

theunsuper Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I hope that 720 comes out late cuz i just bought a new 360

5. benitoben

benitoben Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    cant see how the 720 can be much more improved,.. worth buying anyway,... also due to the ease of flashing 360 and the millions ms loose i bet this will be un-hackable!

6. Wimpiesttick7

Wimpiesttick7 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    How many peolpe do you think is going to get this Xbox 720?