Why Ubisoft delayed Watch Dogs

Bullet Dec 18, 2013

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

In an interview with IGN, Ubisoft's North American President Laurent Detoc said the company was inspired to delay Watch Dogs because of the success of Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto V.

According to him, it was a "very intense decision" and was "not just about delaying for the sake of delaying it". He emphasized that Ubisoft just wanted to make sure that Watch Dogs is really good, and a well polished game.

“It’s a very intense decision,” Detoc told IGN. “I think one of the fascinating things about this industry is that you can go from genius to idiot in an extremely short time frame. These are some of those moments, where you’re riding sky high on Watch Dogs or Rayman, and then suddenly you have to break it to the outside world, and sometimes even convince the inside people. Not everybody agrees. You have to say, ‘this is in the best interest of the product, to do this,’ because at the end of the day we’re going to be able to do this extra fine tuning.”

“I’ll tell you, at Gamescom, everybody was looking each other in the eye thinking we would be there at launch,” Detoc said regarding Watch Dogs, which was originally scheduled to be ready for the launch of next-gen consoles but has now been pushed to 2014. “There were already some lingering doubts, but we were plowing through it. There were more than a thousand people touching that game. Then eventually, a month later, we said, ‘this is not gonna fly.’ Then it takes a few more weeks to decide how we’re going to package that news for everyone. It’s not just about delaying for the sake of delaying it. No matter how hard we try, we also put out games that are not good quality, unfortunately. It’s not because we go out and say, ‘great, let’s make a piece of junk and put it out there.’ It’s really painful to us. But some games, you just can’t make them that much better because of how they’ve been progressing. Part of the decision to delay Watch Dogs is also that. We know it’s not where we want it to be. Can it get there? What will it take to get there? That’s why it takes a longer process. But in August we really thought we were going to have that game at launch.”

Still, Detoc is optimistic about Watch Dogs, which he feels, despite some stumbles, is an extremely strong product.

“I actually believe that Watch Dogs could have ended up being the best-rated game on next gen if it came out at launch. We wanted it to be even higher,” Detoc told us. “The whole package is there already. But without sending them too many flowers, the guys at Rockstar have showed us again that if you make a 96-percent game, people will come. Watch Dogs, I can only hope we get to that level. There’s an attachment to the brand, in the case of GTA, that makes people really want to give it that 100-percent review. We’ll be missing that on Watch Dogs until we go further, potentially. That’s what we’re after.”

Source: IGN