seriousllama Oct 20, 2016

1. seriousllama

seriousllama Bring back XPG! Gold Subscriber
    10/47

Console:
    Playstation 4
    No more 4K Blu Ray Player in the PS4 Pro
    [​IMG]

PlayStation fans were shocked to find that the new PS4 Pro will not feature a 4K Blu-ray player, like that of its main rival, the Xbox One S. Many couldn't understand the decision, considering Sony's history of championing Blu-ray technology, as it did with the PlayStation 3.

The reason for the omission has been cleared up by PlayStation President, Andrew House, who says it was mainly down to the trend towards streaming content. Their opinion is that the technology will soon be made redundant as people move increasingly away from disc-based media, in favour of streamed content.

He was quoted as saying: "Our feeling is that while physical media continues to be a big part of the games business, we see a trend on video towards streaming... Certainly, with our user base, it's the second biggest use case for people's time on the system so we place more emphasis on that area."

So, have Sony been a little bit premature with their decision? Or are they just ahead of the game?

There are two schools of thought among PlayStation fans. Some are clearly outraged at the oversight, while others agree that the technology is in danger of becoming obsolete. Critics have cited that by leaving out the 4K Blu-ray technology, Sony has given an advantage to the Xbox One S console, which was released in early August.

This isn't to say that the new PS4 Pro won't be able to make use of 4K content. Users will be able to watch 4K content through BAN-ME-PLEASE, such as Netflix and YouTube. Both are poised to move into the 4K market. However, streaming 4K content will put considerable pressure on internet bandwidth, so may only be a viable option for those with a fast connection.

One thing's for sure, it would have been much easier for Sony to just include a 4K Blu-ray player, rather than hand a new selling point to their closest competitor. It's easy to argue that games consoles are simply for gaming and that this shouldn't matter all that much. But if recent years are anything to go by, then it's clear that fans expect more from consoles than simply a way of playing their games. In the modern era, consoles have become multi-media machines, and fans expect to see new features, as well as updated specs.

Whether or not this turns out to be a big mistake on Sony's part will soon become clear as the PS4 Pro is due for release on 10th November.

2. Enrique088

Enrique088 Rookie
    15/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Personally, I don't mind not having 4K. I'll stick with my normal PS4.

3. ma

magzen Newbie
    5/47

Not having 4K Blu Ray is to save money for Sony, doesnt have to do with streaming content, i say a cheap move from Sony

4. Bl

BladenKernst Rookie
    10/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I agree totally its a cheap move by Sony to save money. They have done something like this to every system the have ever produced. (put new technology in a system only to not support it, then remove it to cut the cost of the system to make the price point lower and "new low price".

1. Playstation - original came with a/v ports built into system along with i/o port on back. Sony did not support the i/o port (only third party people did), then they removed the a/v outlets, went to a a/v cable and lowered the price. Next they removed the i/o port with the next revision, then they redesigned the system to the PSOne all the while dropping the price.

2. Playstation 2. - original one had usb ports, fire wire connection port, i/o port, and was backwards compatible. First they took off the fire wire ports. (games that system linked that way can no longer be played. ( Armored Core Silent Line. : (.......... ). They put the the network adapter to attach to the i/o port for network capability. Then they added the HDD to compete with the Xbox. After adding no support for the HDD they phased it out and redesigned the system to the slim version to remove the auto disk tray, i/0 port for connections so all those who shelled out all the loot for the Hdd's were A** out in the cold. Again all the while lowering the price to say "look, our system is affordable."

Playstation 3. - original 60 gb system was backward compatible, 4 usb ports ect...

You guys are smart enough to see where this is going. I should not have to continue.