Wii-U Ubisoft: ZombiU unprofitable, no plans for sequel

NaCLy AF Jul 8, 2013

1. NaCLy AF

NaCLy AF Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    20/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Wii U launch title ZombiU was not profitable and there are no plans, or desire, for a sequel. That's according to Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot, who told GamesIndustry International that "betting big" on the Wii U did not pay off for the company.

Guillemot also said it was ZombiU's underwhelming performance that led the publisher to decide to release Rayman Legends as a multiplatform game instead of a Wii U-exclusive.

In May, Ubisoft Montpellier creative director Jean-Philippe Caro said the studio was at work on a ZombiU 2 prototype, though firm details were not disclosed.

GameSpot has reached out to Ubisoft for additional comment or clarification on Guillemot's remarks and the status of the ZombiU franchise moving forward.

Electronic Arts chief operating officer Peter Moore is also quoted in the GamesIndustry International report, saying the Wii U has been a "disappointment" thus far. No new titles are in development for the system, he confirmed.

"We were there with four games for them [at launch]," he says. "It's been a disappointment when you look at sell-through and, as a company, we have to be very judicious where we deploy our resources."

By comparison, EA supported the original Wii with 78 titles through the system's lifespan. Moore also pointed out that a lack of interest in online functionality among Wii U users is a reason EA is staying away from the platform.

"The lack of online engagement that we see on Wii U [is troubling]," Moore said. "It's so integral to what we do. They're so small it's hardly worth running the servers. It seems like a box that's out of sync with the future of EA - which is one that gives a real social feel to our games. The Wii U feels like an offline experience right now."

The Wii U has officially sold 3.45 million units worldwide. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said last month that "We are to blame" for poor Wii U sales, noting marketing efforts have not done enough to explain why the system is compelling.

Source: GameSpot

2. ShangTsung

ShangTsung Member
    25/47

Console:
    Xbox
    sadly i'm not surprised.. this game actually could have been great, all it needed was two things- a new game plus mode and MORE freakin ammo!!! seriously you get ONE damn melee weapon through the entire game and a thousand guns you cannot use cause there is almost NO AMMO for them, so the whole game ends up being just a tease cause you're constantly reminded of how fun it would be if you could just USE all those guns for more than five minutes..
    this is a game i would literally pay money to be able to mod ammo on, its a damn shame there is no way to make save editors on the Wii U cause if you could mod ammo ZombiU would be one of the funnest games ever! what a waste..
    and screw the guy whining about lack of online play! the sole reason i bought a Wii U was BECAUSE every game on it doesn't revolve around stupid lame ass multiplayer! and the reason i traded in my ps4 was because of the LACK of sp games! online multiplayer DOES NOT make a console or game great, the campaign and content therein does! developers need to realize that not all of us are obsessed with online mp, in fact some of us downright hate it! and avoid it like the plaugue, jeez... THIS is why gaming today sucks balls, too many dumbasses thinking online play is the only thing that matters!
    :dash2:

3. mOnolith

mOnolith Rookie
    20/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Thats a shame,it was one of the only games to make me want to buy it....hearing about the ammo issue reallly puts a damper on it....