[Tutorial] How To Prolong The Life Of Your 360

Dreamy Aug 13, 2010

1. Dr

Dreamy Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Playstation 3
    Ok so I know most of us 360 users have a general Idea of what not to do to our 360. But I bet there's several people like me that don't think about the little things. Amazingly enough these "little things" can have a big impact on the life span of your 360. So below I've compiled a little guide on how to do just that.

Guide:

1. Don't Be Cheap:
    (If you don't already own one/this) Buy an inter cooler
    http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72716
    & Maybe even another one if you can afford it.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intec-Glo-Stand-w-Fan-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/5651708

2. Ventilate:
    Keep your 360 near a window / in a well ventilated area or or cooled artificially by air conditioner or a fan. (Never Put It In a Entertainment Center) & If Possible avoid putting anything like a DVD player next to your 360.

[​IMG]

3. Take a Break:
    Don't Play on your 360 for longer then 3-4 hrs at a time without a 30-45min cool down stage.

4. Vertical Is the Way To Go: Vertical Is the Way To Go:
    Unless your DVD Drive has Issues reading discs, keep your 360 Vertical & Not Horizontal.

This

[​IMG]

Not

[​IMG]

5. Keep It Clean:
    Clean your Xbox from time to time use a small hand cloth / towel and start wiping away all dust on the exterior of your Xbox 360. Including Under the 360 & it's HDD.
    (DO NOT LEAVE YOUR 360 ON WHILE CLEANING & It's Usually better to Take the Disc Out.)

Leave It Horizontal During Cleaning.

[​IMG]

6. Lift The Brick:
    Make sure you keep your Power Brick well ventilated as well. It will help prevent your 360 from overheating. A couple of ways to do this is A: Put it right side up, so it's actually sitting on the rubber stoppers. B: Keep in on your table/desk.

[​IMG]

7. Go Vamp:
    Make sure you Never expose your 360 to Direct Sunlight for extended period of time, even 5 minutes can hurt it depending on the amount. Also keep it far away from Heaters, I know it's cold, but make sure that heater isn't facing your 360.

If You Don't...

[​IMG]

There you go 7 easy tips that should keep your wonderful gaming system from turning into a $300+ paperweight with a $40-$120 Repair Bill.

I hope this helps
    Kane :)

NOTE :- These Pictures Were Provided By A friend,It is not me in them.. lol.. I Made The Guide,My Friend And Me Took The Pictures :D

2. EyesOnly

EyesOnly Uploading Now... Gold Subscriber
    165/188

Console:
    Xbox
    how does standing your Xbox 360 up right help with overheating mate ?

also ive heard them coolers that clips on the case are useless and the only ones that works are XCM's.

Im not trying to say that it does not work i would just like more info if possible so when i get my jtag i can use these tips to help prevent RROD.

Here is a link to XCM site show the XCM Cooler V2
    http://tinyurl.com/37hfdfk

3. Dr

Dreamy Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Playstation 3
    it happens to my ps3.. it overheats when i keep it horizontal so i have started keeping it vertical along with my xbox

also the coolers do work, i was just saying that if you havent got enough to buy something like one of the Fan Paccks [or whatever their called..]
    you can buy one of those

trust me they help

4. Bu

Bullet Guest

[Fact]It makes no difference whether the xbox is upright or not!
    [Fact]Intercooler fans are not good for your 360!!!!
    [Fact]Just make sure your system is in an open space and well ventilated and forget the rest of this mumbo jumbo!

5. Mo

Modified Retired Staff Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    intercoolers are terrible, not only are they dangerous (fire hazzard) they blow the air back into your console.

if you want to keep your xbox cool its always best to put it in a bucket of ice water!

:thumbsup:

6. EyesOnly

EyesOnly Uploading Now... Gold Subscriber
    165/188

Console:
    Xbox
    thanks for the updates then i wont bother with any coolers then ill just keep it in an open space.
    also if i do stand it up on end will it overheat quick as im blocking 1 vent or dont it matter ? as the side im putting it on is narrow.

7. Bu

Bullet Guest

Honestly it isnt going to matter ;)