Tags:

Tuned-up Forza Horizon puts the pedal to the metal

Bullet Oct 27, 2012

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

The Forza franchise for a long time has been known as the Microsoft competitor to the Sony Gran Turismo series.
    This has always been something that has made life difficult, a constant comparison to one of the greatest racing games of all time.
    Then all of a sudden the team behind Forza did something no one expected, and delivered a superior racing game.
    Now it seems that Microsoft don’t just want to be the best "serious" racing game, they want to be the best racing game period.

[​IMG]
    Possibilities ... huge range of tracks and cars
    Horizon is a game that had promised grand scope and a new way to view open world racers, something we've never seen before but all want.
    I have to admit that I was one of the sceptical ones when it was announced. I believed that Forza 4 was a great game, by far my favorite racing game, but could a project like this really still have the Forza DNA?
    Could Playground Games create something that gave more than Forza 4?
    First thing you notice when you start playing is the undeniably beautiful visuals.

[​IMG]
    Gorgeous ... Forza's world dazzles
    The world the team have created is unreal, from the sprinklers on a farmer’s field, to the vast open views while speeding down the hot asphalt everything looks gorgeous.
    Car models are exactly what you expect from Forza, instantly being able to recognize the modern beauties and classics, every car looks phenomenal.
    One of the things I was most worried with the direction Forza Horizon was going in was what am I going to lose from what I love about the Forza series?
    Thankfully, absolutely nothing. Horizon plays just like the Forza games before it, if you've only just put down Forza 4 to try this out you’re going to feel right at home behind the wheel.
    Not only does it have the same feel, but they have somehow managed to have an open world racer that doesn't scrape back in other areas.
    You have more than enough cars at your disposal and you never feel like you’re doing the similar tracks over and over again.
    All racing game fans with have many different series in their collection and I’m the same. Always feeling like different games gave me a different fix. Now I really feel like I only need one. Forza has changed the grade that all other racers need to now live up to.
    9 out of 10