Trump’s proposed trade tariff could impact the price of consoles, games in the US

IH8UALL Jan 24, 2017

1. IH

IH8UALL Guest

The price of imported video games and consoles in the US could be on the rise, if Trump decides to impose import tariffs.

[​IMG]
    U.S. President Donald Trump has mentioned before that his administration may impose import taxes on business that do not manufacture their products in the United States.

Although a blanket tariff has yet to be signed, Polygon reports that The Entertainment Software Association ESA is already preparing for the worst, and is working on a plan to deal with such tariff, should one go into effect.

The site sources did not indicate how far the ESA is willing to go, or how big of an impact said tariff would cause to the video games industry.

As Polygon says, a five or ten percent import tax may be imposed on imported products, which would obviously include games developed outside the U.S., as well as consoles. All three major consoles are manufactured in China.

“We are looking into the issue and can provide more information shortly,” an ESA spokesperson told the site.

SOURCE: VG24/7

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2017
  2. seriousllama

seriousllama Bring back XPG! Gold Subscriber
    5/47

Console:
    Playstation 4
    Any excuse to bump the price up for more profit.

3. seriousllama

seriousllama Bring back XPG! Gold Subscriber
    390/564

Console:
    Playstation 4
    Any excuse to bump the price up for more profit.

4. Br

BrianThompson Newbie
    5/47

By the comments, I don't think people understand what's actually happening. Heck, by the way the article is written, it doesn't sound like they know what's going on. Trump wants to tax items that were or are feasible to make in the US. It's not feasible to build the consoles nor develop every electronic in the US, Trump knows that. These articles are panic articles.... Buy now before the price goes up type hype.

He's specifically named several industries, electronics was not one of them. Cars, air conditioners, textiles, etx. Things that were made in the US that have been shipped to other countries is what he's concerned about. It's something I wrote a paper about in college. I used Dell, once America's largest PC manufacturer. They shipped all support to India. While the Indian people make much less money than we do, the people working in a Dell call center drive cars that would make any American fume. So, Dell saved millions, and tons on call center workers make the equivalent of a 6 figure salary as compared to the US. Trump wants this practice stopped or the company doing it will be taxed heavily. Knowing Trump, he'll probably prohibit the companies from transferring that extra cost to the customers.