This Is 'Apple's Biggest Challenge' Making An iWatch

ADDZ Mar 4, 2013

1. AD

ADDZ Guest

This Is 'Apple's Biggest Challenge' Making An iWatch

[​IMG]

It's looking more and more likely these days that Apple will indeed make its own smartwatch, unofficially dubbed the "iWatch."

Just last week, an Apple patent filing surfaced describing a device that conforms to your wrist with a flexible display.

But the biggest problem Apple faces isn't the flexible display, Wired's Christina Bonnington reports. Instead, it comes down to durability.

“Wrist watches are subject to different types of abuse and wear, and there is a tendency for customers to refrain from wearing overly worn-looking watches,” watch expert and aBlogtoWatch founder Ariel Adams told Wired. “Apple will need to use materials and durability standards well out of their comfort zone in order to make an iWatch more than a wrist novelty for a few weeks.”

Since the device would be worn on your wrist, issues like shock, water, sweat, and general wear and tear come to mind, Bonnington writes.

Even though Apple doesn't have much experience in the watch space, it could borrow some notes from Jawbone's playbook, as the company has already figured out how to tackle water and sweat issues with its UP fitness tracker.

But another challenge with the iWatch, Adams tells Wired, is personalization.

“Apple needs the iWatch to be just as aspirational as the iPhone,” Adams told Wired. “That means a solid conservative style for adults, and a level of quality that doesn’t make it feel like a toy with a colorful strap.”

Source: businessinsider

2. tucky

tucky Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Thanks for the news ADDZ, I'm finding this place to be a great place for information which is kewl
    haha I can't see them making it resistant as such because then they would have to justify why they haven't done that for the iPhones.
    because I'm not sure if your aware of the iPhones...vulnerabilities and by vulnerabilities I mean it shatters when you look at it aggressively or if a butterfly collides with an object 1km away from it, which I'm sure Apple has justified in some way which I can't be bothered looking up, I just don't see how they would do that for the Iwatch....it would just contradict their previous products, however it would work in a way of them then to bring out NEW iphones that are now resistant to violent gushes of wind that you have to pay an extra $$$$ for because they crafted it with the material used by ironman. I don't know
    it shall be interesting...

3. AD

ADDZ Guest

My iPhone 4 has done me well up to now but I only use it for Twitter and pr0n ;)

4. tucky

tucky Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Haha well I guess you are looking after yours, I always seem to fail to keep mine out of the 1km radius of those damn butterflies

P.s lol thank you for the GNazi tag, I love it

5. DO

DOPEBOI Gold Member Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Other
    I want it nowww. :D

I'll be pre ordering this ASAP, Apparently it will have full IOS support too.

Hopefully it will look like this:

6. marco89

marco89 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Looks great but I don't need another watch :eek:hh:

7. Me

Member Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    That looks so crazy.. But this will look so cool!

It doesn't look like a nice watch :p

8. X9Cinema

X9Cinema Resident GFX Guru Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I like apple, I don't like watches, so I will not be buying this, if I ever wore a watch it'd be an expensive brand. :p

9. Coder123

Coder123 Finnish Modder XPG Developer TeamXPG
    105/188

Console:
    Xbox
    price $999

10. marco89

marco89 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    cheap :p

11. X9Cinema

X9Cinema Resident GFX Guru Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    If it really costs that much, I'd still pass it'd make you look like a nerd.

12. xTG_IrOnZzZ

xTG_IrOnZzZ Banned BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Actually, tests have shown that iPhone's can withstand more damage than most smartphones. Look at drop tests on YouTube, they're much more resistant than other smartphones.

The "iWatch", would be stuck to your wrist, how are you supposed to damage a watch? People put £10,000 watches on their wrists, because they're good qualitay and known brand, the "iWatch" would be the same.

13. tucky

tucky Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    *sees fanboy tag* Oh no
    Please dont crucify me in the fires of macintosh for I also partake in the glory of the Steve Jobs ,
    Bless art thou in the path of appleness and may ye not stray from the path into blaspheming window products,
    may you and your family shower in the eternal rain of iPhones and iPods that get smaller every year
    Amen

I was clearly exaggerating out of pure humour (I do that)
    Now let me be clear I am not a windows fanboy or a apple fan boy, I honestly don't care as long as whichever one does the job
    so that means I can share my unbiased opinion,
    however I'm not sure what drop tests you were watching because the drop tests I watched which comprised of iPhone 4 or 4s whatever vs samsung galaxy solar system whatever it wants to call itself, short story iPhone broke samsung didn't....... watched another one however IPhone 5 didn't watch all of it but basically the IPhone 5 was sweet but I only watched 2 videos before.

But saying that the iPhone's as a whole are a lot more resistant is a big call which I completely disagree with
    there is no way to justify that claim at all, Theres no way to prove without a shadow of a doubt without proof, so as my previous post I will share my personal experience, My IPhone 4 broke when it fell of a table with a case that I bought from apple and iPhones especially 4 and 4s are notorious for breaking quite easily, whenever you see someone without a case on an iPhone you feel like you need to let them know. and there are MULTIPLE ways you can damage a watch,
    ex: Dropping it when you take it off, Walk into a wall, Skydive and parachute doesn't work, feed the gremlins at midnight because their to damn cute, interrupt a midget wrestling competition, Riding a wild panda, Simply walking into mordor, Saying a certain product sucks in front of a certain fan boy :eek:hh: , etc

Watches are breakable just like everything, saying how are you supposed to damage a watch when people buy 10,000 watches is just like saying, this limited edition glass hand crafted harry potter book that I bought WONT break because I've duct taped it to my forehead and bought it for large amounts of money.
    I like mac (I have a macbook pro and an iPhone myself) however I'm a realist,

Things break,
    Especially phones with 1 bite out of an apple logos on them.

14. Swiftus

Swiftus Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Playstation 4
    More useless designer tat for the icrowd to get a trouser tent over

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

15. tucky

tucky Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox