Not open for further replies.

The Walking Dead: Survival Instincts

tucky Mar 17, 2013

1. tucky

tucky Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I saw alot of people are in the dark about this game (I know I was)
    Thanks to the company having very little marketing strategy, I mean they had Dead Island Riptide
    advertised after a walking dead episode, Wtf is that?

So for those who are curious here is a rough heads up on what the game is all about.

In laments terms its a mixture of Left 4 dead and Dead Island I know I know obvious
    Left 4 dead is clearly just in terms of the game play you can take if you wish,
    by gunning walkers down and they will all come flocking towards you in a "jog"
    They do very well in terms of making the walkers threatening, I found myself jumping
    out of my skin like a little school girl when I would get a Peek a boo moment with one.
    Eventually after a certain period of time however you figure out how to handle the walkers
    in a strategic way, and the game becomes quite easy, especially when you finally obtain
    a signature weapon for the protagonist *hint starts with cross ends with bow hint*.

The one thing when reading the little information we had about the game I was concerned
    about was the traveling system, I was curious as to how they would implement their
    "road block" and picking people in your group mechanics. I found that the traveling system
    was that of the fast traveling system we have all become fond and annoyed at, I would have
    loved to explore for supplies, drive myself, and stop whenever I want, But I guess this game
    is not about exploration, Its about survival.

The "road block" or supply run *side quests?*
    These were cool, I'm tired so I won't get into detail.
    These became extremely repetitive, and to the point I even ended up at the same map 3 times
    in a row, either they were traveling over 100km and all the towns architects came to a mirrored
    agreement, or me being immersed wasn't really that important at that point in development.

The graphics....
    I wouldn't get to excited, but its not all about the graphics I've found so I didn't take that to be much
    of a deal breaker.

The member selection....
    I'm not going to get into great detail about the member group selection because its not really worth it,
    think how Ezio is, in assassins creed sent his ******* to do his biding, thats basically what you have here
    except instead of assassinating people for you sick pleasure.. You can send them on missions to get
    food, fuel and ammo. And of course give them weapons blah blah I lost interest in this part of the
    game very fast and because I had scavenged to the point I pretty much had double of everything
    I didn't care whether they came back or not, I just cared about getting fuel and killing zombies.

The story...
    I can't really give away to much, in fear of the spoiler warriors drowning me in their melodramatic
    flood of tears, however the dialog and voice acting is great. Daryl is funny and Merle is also funny
    and the ******* you expect him to be, I always loved their exchanges and this was quite funny
    in parts. The story isn't really deep its basically...you have to survive, and then eventually you
    find out that there is a place that can make your survival extremely easier...thats kind've it,
    of course there are other details but, all in all thats the main deal.

My opinions.....
    I don't want to get into every aspect of the game, but the main problem I had with it was
    it was very very short, after mastering the skills of slaughtering multiple walkers and being
    on the brink of being rambo/ninja, the game game to an end a almost unsatisfying end,
    and I'm not giving away any spoilers when I say obviously Daryl and Merle survive this chapter
    (if you haven't seen the tv show, I don't know what you've been doing but get into it!)
    but yes the ending is fun, the game is good fun for the lovers of daryl and the tv show
    but it is unforgivingly short, however I can see their going for the multiple play throughs
    you no doubt will do. I just wish there was more, which if thats the main problem with it
    thats a pretty good problem to have.
    And I wish they either got rid of the stupid survivors that came with you completely, or they
    did a whole lot more with it, I mean the whole aspect of them all able to go together and
    achieve supply runs together except with me was very concerning to me.
    Yeah nah it's cool guys, you 3 all go on that one run together and I'll go by myself into this heavily
    walker infested town with a handful of ammo and a knife and find another car and fuel for us
    to continue or trip, its not like sticking together during a f**king ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE ever
    benefitted anyone -_-, and they also have the nerve to sit in the f**king car while I got out
    and dealt with a herd of walkers and pushed 2 cars by myself...

So basically don't expect the emotional and inspirational story you got from Telltale
    expect the raw first person perspective of killing/slashing/maming/burning/destorying/stabing walkers, getting supplies, sending lackeys to help (stupid idea), and getting fuel
    and then getting more fuel...

2. IIEvolution85II

IIEvolution85II Gamerscore Wreckage :) Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Nice review but god that white text with black hurts your eyes lol ;)

3. tucky

tucky Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Thanks mate, yeah I was a bit lazy and didn't edit it from another site I wrote it on.
    edited it now, hope your eyes are ok! :LOL:

4. IIEvolution85II

IIEvolution85II Gamerscore Wreckage :) Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Yeah that's better mate ;)

5. NaCLy AF

NaCLy AF Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    my review: terrible game, poor story, poor graphics .. i was really disapointed

6. tucky

tucky Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Hah yes, the graphics and story weren't really up to the standards of the current releases.
    But in my personal opinion, its not a game killer its still fun to turn your mind off and just dig into some carnage.

7. Ro

Rocky Guest

Haha I'm well into this game :p

8. XPG Varin

XPG Varin TONKPILS
    145/188

Console:
    Xbox
    that games a huge downer, wouldn't pay over £20 for it tops, graphics aren't all that, seem like a old Xbox game :p

9. X9Cinema

X9Cinema Resident GFX Guru Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    This would've been, allot more fun in black and white, with a film grain overlay.

10. NaCLy AF

NaCLy AF Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    i hated how he moves .. always a pain to turn .. and then when one zombie grabs you like 10000 zombies come out of nowhere

11. tucky

tucky Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Yeah there was def holes in the gameplay, like I found very early on just shoving them then getting around them and executing them meant an instant kill, rather the having to screw around with weapons to much.

Its a fun enough game I'd give it like a 6.5/10 , I'm just so disappointed that they didn't do more with it because they had the opportunity to
    make it ALOT better considering the ingredients they had, instead they just made the same ol common zombie slasher soup.
    Soooooo disappointing
    Well hopefully Bioshock will blow my mind, because this game can just blow me :eek:hh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.