Sony pulls PS3 firmware update following error reports

IIEvolution85II Jun 20, 2013

1. IIEvolution85II

IIEvolution85II Gamerscore Wreckage :) Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Sony Computer Entertainment says it's investigating reports that the latest PS3 firmware update is causing errors in a "small number" of consoles.

In a statement sent to CVG the platform holder confirmed that it's temporarily pulled the 4.45 update - first released this morning - and will inform users as soon as it's available again.

[​IMG]

A spokesperson said: "We are aware of reports that the recent PlayStation 3 system software update (version 4.45) has caused the XMB to not display on a small number of PS3 systems.

"We have temporarily taken 4.45 offline and are investigating the cause of the problem. We will announce when the system update is available for download as soon as possible. We apologise for the inconvenience."

According to numerous posts on the official US PlayStation forum, the 4.45 firmware update caused a number of PS3 consoles to 'brick' following its release today.

Some users have reported that, after downloading the update, their consoles locked up at the boot screen. It's claimed that formatting the PS3 hard drive didn't remedy the issue.

"After it display the PS3 logo, it went to the second screen (the flowing ribbon). It suppose to display XB next. but it never goes there. Just the flowing ribbon," states one post.

"I can not even shutdown the system by press the power button. (It bleeps, but the system didn't shut down.) So I tried unplug the power cord, and plugin again. Still same problem."

Another user adds: "I brought up the "Safe Mode" and tried to restart and nothing. Now all I have is a black screen and can only see the screen by bringing up 'Safe Mode'".

Firmware update 4.45 was released earlier today and was intended to allow users to switch trophy notifications off via the System Settings menu and improve general performance.

Source: CVG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013