SLIM PROTO - Installation & Tuning Guide (Thanks to Team-Xecuter)

ADDZ Sep 19, 2013

1. AD

ADDZ Guest

SLIM PROTO - Installation & Tuning Guide

SLIM PROTO - Tuning Guide

The Slim Prototype is a new project we thought up where instead of waiting weeks and months for our next product we would let VIP members into the test process. We make it available at almost cost price and for that we simply ask that you give as much test feedback as possible.

Those that give exceptional feedback will be noticed and singled out for non-public tests [​IMG]

The Slim Proto Kit includes the following items

• Xecuter Slim Proto Dev Board
    • Xecuter POST SLIM QSB v3
    • Ceramic Cap Kit (10pf, 22pf, 30pf, 47pf, 68pf, 82pf, 100pf)
    • CR3 Pro Install Wires (Optional if no Trinity/ Corona QSB's are Used)

INSTALL
    Installation is pretty much the same as the CR3 PRO.

[​IMG]

Solder Points

• (C) yellow wire to post_out solder pad on bottom side POST QSB V3 (goto Direct post_out pad as default (labelled as 1) For tuning you can use 50, 70, 90, 120 - I find 50 works best with Trinity / Corona v1/v2
    • (D) blue wire to cpu_rst solder pad on bottom side POST QSB V3 (goto CPU_RST pad as default (no length is added in the PCB - you have multiple lengths to choose from when fine tuning - 29, 32, 35, 38, 41, 44, 47, 50
    • (E) Short green wire to top side qsb, i2c SCL signal.
    • (F) Short brown wire to top side qsb, i2c SDA signal.
    • (5v) Short red wire, thick to top side 5v Standby
    • (gnd) Longer black wire, thick to AV chassis.

[​IMG]

DIP SWITCH SETTINGS

The Slim Proto has 8 dips.

DIPS 1 to 6 are used to adjust timing and the cpu_rst wave shape.
    DIP 7 is reserved (must be off)
    DIP 8 select i2c type, off = trinity, on = corona.

POST QSB V3

Yellow are the POST_OUT points
    Blue are the CPU_RST points

POST_OUT: Recommended wire length is 12cm. You can then use the POST QSB V3 to adjust to various lengths to help shape the wave.
    CPU_RST: Recommended wire length is 10cm. You can then use the POST QSB V3 to adjust to various lengths to help shape the wave.

[​IMG]

WARNING
    DO NOT - I REPEAT - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WRITE ANY TIMING FILE TO YOUR SLIM PROTO DEV BOARD. They are pre-programmed. Writing any other timing file without instruction from TX will result in permanently damaging it

First you need to find your center:

IMPORTANT NOTE: When testing each cycle make sure you hook everything back up to the case (ODD, HDD, WIFI etc). If you dont do this your tuning will be wasted as when you hook everything back up it changes the shape of the pulse. Take your time and do it right and you will get a super fast booting RGH console [​IMG]

1. For the first initial test set DIP 8 to the motherboard type
    2. Don't install any ceramic caps yet. Set DIP 3 on and test your boot cycle. Each cycle is 5 seconds so count. If you go above 4 cycles (20 seconds) change your dip setting.
    3. If not set DIP 4 and test...
    4. If not set DIP 5 and test...
    5. and so on with DIPS 6 then 1 and 2...
    6. We're basically circling out from what we know is optimum. You are looking for 1-2 cycles max with this device (with tuning)

So let's say you landed on DIP 4 as your center you will now want to tune up......

[​IMG] Originally Posted by Xecuter
    Tuning the Slim Proto is like overclocking your PC. You can either go with the easy setup and be happy with better results than most people or you can be a complete monster and tweak the Fecal Leaking out of it so you get a better score than everyone else. Fun times [​IMG]

1. Add a ceramic cap to C10 with 1 DIP on (note a 1 cap per DIP cannot be higher than 50pf - anything higher will absorb the pulse)

[​IMG]

2. So start with a 10pf cap and test. Then 22pf then 30pf then 47pf
    3. Sometimes you may need to tweak even further than just 1 DIP and use a combo. So for example if you found DIP 3 and DIP 4 to be the same you can try 3.5. We achieve this be setting DIP 2 & 3 on with a large ceramic cap to delay and absorb the pulse (so 2 DIPS and a large cap equals 1.5 pulse time - we found this works great on many Corona v3/v4/v5/v6
    4. So to achieve 3.5 set DIPS 2 & 3 on and test with caps 68pf, 82pf and 100pf.

Here are some examples of settings:

Trinity:

POST_OUT - Try 50 as default. Your other options are 1 (Direct), 70, 90 & 120

1. DIP 5 = on : 10 cm wire to (29) pad on the POST QSB V3 : NO ceramic cap installed to Slim Proto
    2. DIP 5 = on : 10 cm wire to (29) pad on the POST QSB V3 : NO ceramic cap installed to Slim Proto
    3. DIPS 4, 5 = on : 10 cm wire to (29) pad on the POST QSB V3 : 82pf ceramic cap installed to Slim Proto
    4. DIPS 4, 5 = on : 10 cm wire to (CPU_RST) pad on the POST QSB V3 : 100pf ceramic cap installed to Slim Proto
    4. DIP 6 = on : 10 cm wire to (CPU_RST) pad on the POST QSB V3 : NO ceramic cap installed to Slim Proto

Corona:

POST_OUT - Try 50 as default. Your other options are 1 (Direct), 70, 90 & 120 (These are also available on the POSTFIX ADAPTER V2 for Corona v3/v4/v5/v6)

1. DIPS 3, 8 = on : 10 cm wire to (CPU_RST) pad on the POST QSB V3 : NO ceramic cap installed to Slim Proto
    2. DIPS 4, 8 = on : 10 cm wire to (CPU_RST) pad on the POST QSB V3 : NO ceramic cap installed to Slim Proto
    3. DIPS 3, 4, 8 = on : 10 cm wire to (CPU_RST) pad on the POST QSB V3: 100pf ceramic cap installed to Slim Proto
    4. DIPS 4 , 8 = on : 10 cm wire to (29) pad on the POST QSB V3 : 47pf ceramic cap installed to Slim Proto
    5. DIPS 2, 3, 8 = on : 10 cm wire to (CPU_RST) pad on the POST QSB V3 : NO ceramic cap installed to Slim Proto

Also post tests results with this jumper bridged (and unbridged) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and CR_En (Demon Control) is Pin 22 of the main IC [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A million thanks to UberGeek & Team-Xecuter as always for the work on this amazing product.

Original Link: http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php/139308-SLIM-PROTO-Installation-amp-Tuning-Guide

2. Renegade

Renegade Super Special Awesome XPG Developer
    45/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I don't really think there was any point to posting this dude as the Slim Proto isn't public :p

So I don't think people will find it useful. Good for showing it off though :p

3. xTG_IrOnZzZ

xTG_IrOnZzZ Banned BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    i asked him to post it, I found it useful. :p

it can be bought here http://www.ck3.co.uk/tx-slim-proto.html (when in stock)

4. AD

ADDZ Guest

It is public dude!

http://www.ck3.co.uk/tx-slim-proto.html

5. Renegade

105/188

Console:
    Xbox
    Ahh, I see another one of TX's marketing scams lol. Buy quick VIP's. They are only available for you guys lol...O'RLY?

I think I was the first to get my one, because US/CANADA shipments had delays and I was the first to post images and results.

6. xTG_IrOnZzZ

0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    I got mine today, but I'm failing badly as usual haha :p

7. Renegade

105/188

Console:
    Xbox
    I'm gonna be using this as my dedicated "DGX" as I converted my own DGX into RGX and sold it in a Trinity console. But the only problem you might have is the QSB part. Especially with the Iron you, me and Dan use. I really didn't have to tweak mine at all and it was booting 1-3 cycles. Stock settings and wire lengths, then we bridged the Point 1 Resistor - right next to R30 and then my cycles were 1-2 consistent.

8. xTG_IrOnZzZ

0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    I soldered it all, just getting a slow blinking green light and no boot.

9. Renegade

105/188

Console:
    Xbox
    Time to try a few dips, if not, shorten CPU_RST.

10. D33J

D33J The 1
    45/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Nice 1 m8 this will come in handy for when my 2 come :)