Report: Xbox 720 to Replace Xbox Live Voice Chat with Skype

Rocky Jan 17, 2013

1. Ro

Rocky Guest

Microsoft intends to consolidate all of its communication technology in a move that will see Skype become the default chat service on Xbox 720.

That’s according to a recent report which cites “a person familiar with the matter.” It means that Skype will become Microsoft’s go to communications software across not just the new console, but tablets and PC too.

"You might jump to the conclusion that we'll see asynchronous voice and video messages in next-gen Xbox Live," added the source.

Microsoft acquired Skype for $8.5 billion in 2011 and has since announced that the service will replace the instant messaging tool MSN Messenger.

The report is supported by a recent job ad for a Microsoft user interface designer at the platform holder’s uK based Skype offices.

"The team you'll join is responsible for Skype in the living room (broadly the home), across various devices but with a focus on the large screen and the next generation of Xbox," said the ad.

Source - X360A

2. De

Devonpikachu Guest

Skype is really shitty. I hope they don't...

3. Ebyankis

Ebyankis Banned BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    They should stick to XBL Voice Chat.

4. viRtuaL

viRtuaL Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Holy cow 8.5 billion. Skype is decent but party chat has been dropping so much lately. I personally use Mumble. But I'm sure paying this much for skype they'll intergrade it into the system and make some kind of improvements. But I'm only guessing lol..But thanks for the info

5. IIEvolution85II

IIEvolution85II Gamerscore Wreckage :) Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Skype is fine hence why MSN has incorporated it into skype and it will be muti functional i expect over the coming times as its a world wide phenom and its MS for you ;)