Question about a save editor ?

mike509 May 6, 2016

1. mike509

mike509 Rookie
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox
    Hello, i got a question about the Risen 3 Titan Lords save editor why dose it come up as a Trojan.Gen 2 virus and basically every editor xpgobyto makes ? it also says team XPG help make it. so if the developers help make it why not add it to the 360 Revolution program ? why would anyone want to download a program that could potentially be a threat to there computer or a back door into there system ? even if it is safe why would you take that risk ? there has to be a safer way to make that program that wouldn't be a potential threat.

here is a summery of what AVG and Norton classified this Trojan as and what it will do to your computer.
    don't know about you guys but i don't want this guy stealing my personal info.

you guys put so much effort into making these editors why not make them safe ?

2. mike509

mike509 Rookie
    15/47

Console:
    Xbox
    so no mod or admin gonna say anything ? not gonna even defend one of your own programmers or an explanation why you make the editors so unsecure ? i know nothing about programs or how there made i am just asking a simple question i think its quite reasonable.

3. Iamcoolz

Iamcoolz Forum Administrator Staff Member XPG Administrator
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    I'll answer, I originally was going to post on this but for some reason my computer locked up and I didn't have the time to retype. But, now I do, so I'll take a look at the editor.

Let's first start off by saying, XPGOByto is a reputable member of XPG, and is even on the 360Rev developer team who creates the tools that are in the main compilation editor (360Rev). I downloaded the tool and ran it through a Malware scan, here are the results...

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/c1367be602e2bde6caa7837984f560325f1329d4ec645f72cf1759cb7ee9ae6b/analysis/

Now what does this mean? When a programmer compiles a program especially Visual Basic coding of any type it uses Windows Libraries and a bunch of other files that Windows uses on a day to day basis, this is why if you tried to launch this particular application on Linux without WINE or even Mac, it would error out. So basically when you launch this program? It is grabbing Windows Libraries and even creating a .tmp (Temporary file, usually wiped when restarting your computer.) this alarms your typical Anti-Virus by saying in your case, a trojan horse, when in all reality it is just your Anti-Virus being a drama queen. There is a term for this particular issue and it is an ongoing issue, it is called a "False Positive Virus" and it literally means in basic terms, it isn't a virus, but your anti-virus software is detecting some type of change and is flagging it.

Keep in mind as well, all of his programs more than likely flag? Because he is using the same coding in every single program.

Absolutely nothing to worry about, the editors are not unsecure and are packed (which means that the programmer has compressed it and most likely encrypted it to preserve his code). Packing a program as well has caused anti-viruses to flip out as well, it is typical behavior and really nothing to worry about.

XPGOByto has made several tools and a couple of which I have used, sure my Anti-Virus flags it, but it is what it is. Nothing has occurred to my PC... always remember, your anti-virus isn't perfect and will say some rather strange things to you, it's your job as a human to look at it and decide if it is or not, example?

A user with one post, posts an editor and it has viruses all down the board on VirusTotal, probably infected. A reputable member who has made a ton of tools posts an editor? He is more than likely clean. But as always, if you feel a program on this site is infected of any kind? Contact an Administrator and then the Administrator should then speak to the developer and request source code, and then it will be read, if the Administrator can view the source code? It's extremely easy to find if he is doing anything malicious.

Any questions? Feel free to reply and I'll answer.

4. mike509

mike509 Rookie
    15/47

Console:
    Xbox
    thank you for answering. i know about false positives and that's why i was asking the question because i have no idea what some the Trojan virus categories are or what any of there terms mean . i have always look at Trojans and any thing my anti virus says is bad as something to stay away from.

5. Iamcoolz

Iamcoolz Forum Administrator Staff Member XPG Administrator
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox One
    All is well, glad I could clear it up!

6. Bu

Bullet Guest

It is because of the method used for obfuscation, it is not malicious.

7. mike509

mike509 Rookie
    15/47

Console:
    Xbox
    thank you guys. i know i am a noob that is still learning but i try to be careful when downloading.