PS4 most powerful console created, learned from PS3′s “rough patch” – Cerny

XPGBuSh Nov 12, 2013

1. XPGBuSh

XPGBuSh XPG'S FIFA KING XPG Retired Staff
    430/564

Console:
    Playstation 4
    [​IMG]

PlayStation 4 architect Mark Cerny has discussed how PS3′s “rough patch” helped Sony fashion a better, more accessible console for developers and consumers alike.

Speaking with Polygon at the event, “PlayStation 2 went very well. I mean we were … our market share was 75% maybe, and then PlayStation 3 really hit a rough patch and a lot of that had to do with – on the consumer side – of the console being so expensive. So we had this goal with PlayStation 4 that we’d be a much more affordable console than PlayStation 3.

“But on the developer side, PlayStation 3 had a reputation for being very hard to work with. I mean I knew that, I worked on a launch title, and so we wanted to make sure that PlayStation 4 would be smooth sailing, that it would be the sort of thing where you wouldn’t have to learn every detail of the hardware, in order to make a game. That it could be much more about the vision of the director of the title.”

When asked if shifting to a common architecture to PC and Xbox One would take some of Sony’s power away, Cerny replied, “PlayStation 4 is the most powerful video game console ever created, so I think we’ve managed to find that middle ground between the power and that accessibility.”

Elsewhere, Cerny stressed that a paradigm of gaming has shifted, and that players now have a six-month to a year relationship with titles through DLC and other means. He also teased a “tremendous evolution” in PlayStation 4 across the incoming cycle.

Are you excited for PS4? Are you getting one at launch? Let us know below.

PS4 launches November 15 and November 29 in the US and UK/Europe respectively.

Source - VG247

2. Shadow

Shadow Watchers Staff Member XPG Moderator
    430/564

Floating in Space having a beer with the guy who d
    Console:
    Xbox One
    I can't wait to see what the PS4 has to offer and the dark side on the hackers part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk