PlayStation 4 official! All the details

Bezza Feb 21, 2013

1. Bezza

Bezza Naughty but Nice XPG Retired Staff
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    [​IMG]
    It’s official. Live on stage in New York, Sony boss Andrew House announced the PlayStation 4, the company’s next-generation games console!

We’ll be updating with details as we go, but in the meantime, check out the live stream over on our PlayStation Hub page, and keep refreshing for updates.

The Specs

We’ve still yet to lay eyes on the box itself, but lead system architect Mark Cerny announced on stage that the PlayStation 4 will pack an eight-core processor with 8GB of memory, as we’d heard. The processor uses very similar technology to PC chips, so it’ll make porting high-end Windows games over a doddle. It can pause games and boot straight into them, or switch between them, and download games can be played even while they download. The new tech does however mean that PS3 discs won’t run on the PS4, but Gaikai CEO Dave Perry hinted that they would run not just on the PS4, but on your phone, courtesy of the cloud.

The Controller
    [​IMG]

The leaked images were spot on. The new controller for the PS4, the DualShock 4, packs in a touch pad in the middle, as well as a “Share” button (which lets you easily tag and upload footage from your gameplay, like a console PVR) and a headphone jack.

In the cloud

Sony snapped up game streaming service Gaikai last year, and now we know what it’s for. Live on stage, Gaikai CEO Dave Perry announced that you’ll be able to log on to the PlayStation Store and instantly play any demo of any game you like, using the power of the cloud. With a tap of the Share button, you can share a live feed of your gameplay, have your friends watch, give you tips and even take over your controls for you if you’re stuck against an iron hard boss. You’ll also be able to broadcast your games over the web to anyone – not just your friends – through Ustream.

[​IMG]

That’s not all, either. You’ll be able to play PS4 games on the PS Vita using Remote Play, Perry announced – Sony’s dabbled with this technology for years, but with the PS4, it looks like it’s finally about to make it standard.

The games

The PlayStation 4 wouldn’t be much without games, and several have been announced for the system already.

[​IMG]
    Knack is a Sony third party action game starring an adorable little critter who can turn into any shape or size – from the man behind Crash Bandicoot. From the brief trailer we saw, it looks like a Pixar film.

Next up, Gorilla Games’ managing director took the stage to announce Killzone: Shadowfall, a gung ho future shooter with jaw-dropping graphics.

More info here http://www.xpgamesaves.com/topic/65054-playstation-4-official-all-the-details/#entry320012

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
  2. coolaid2323

coolaid2323 XPG FTW
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    the controller looks terrible in my opinion

3. Ai

Airagone Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    <blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="XPGFTW" data-time="1361411368">the controller looks terrible in my opinion</blockquote>
    Itsuniquebut, not over done and also its stay's originalto the core of the controller that people known to love.

4. Shadow

Shadow Watchers Staff Member XPG Moderator
    430/564

Floating in Space having a beer with the guy who d
    Console:
    Xbox One
    wow cant wait to see it in action!

5. nightmare666

nightmare666 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Microsoft have to pull it out of the bag or stun us with something unique... as the share feature and specs look sweet. Upto now in my opinion the 360/microsoft has slowly started to decline in my eyes, kinect was promising but nothing decent has come out for it. (all child and fitness games) where was the showcased Rome game where you were a warrior and swung your sword/shield when kinect was first announced?<br><br>
    - Changing the dashboard to a butt ugly design just for ease of kinect users who are in the minority not majority.... the dashblades were perfect, now we have features that are pointless, "beacons"...? pop ups everytime someone loads up the same game as me?<br><br>
    - Charging people to use apps/players that are completely free on tablets/pc's<br><br>
    - Charging people to play online (gold members) with no added bonuses? sure the playstation had security issues but atleast it was free and if you did buy PSN+ or watever its called you got full games to download for free !<br>
    Does microsoft ever offer this? The only redeeming factor is the fact that xbl works alot smoother to communicate with others..<br><br>
    - The 360 had great exclusives but now alot of them are available for either the ps3/ps4 or the ps3/ps4 exclusives are looking alot better.. mass effect anyone? its now available on ps3.... bungie's new game will be available for both platforms...<br><br>
    - On the subject of exclusives to name a few xbox's have been crap... gears has become terrible...same for halo.... (<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_360-only_games">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_360-only_games</a>) most are terrible.<br><br>
    Whereas ps3 now has great exclusives... killzone..heavy rain... god of war..uncharted to name a few (<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:playStation_3-only_games">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:playStation_3-only_games</a>).. sure they both have terrible ones too but out of both lists on wikipedia there is alot more ps3 exclusives that are better in my opinion<br><br>
    - Adverts !!! i pay £25 for Xbl only for them to flood every app or space on the dashboard with adverts ? if im paying them to play online why do they need to add even more adverts with every update....<br><br>
    Like i say i will hold off my overall position on the subject of which console i will get next but if its anything to go buy so far.... the ps4 looks like its aimed at gamers and the 360 wants to be a platform or "media device" for all the family with child apps/games/features... dumbing down the console at the expensive of me a 22 year old person who just wants to play games<br><br>
    All i can say is thank god i have modded my 360 otherwise i would have bought around 3 games that have been worth £40 and thats it....and probably not have xbox live.<br><br>
    Before i am flamed for being a ps3/4 fanboy etc... or just trolling... i have had a 360 since it launched and the original "xbox" before it and loved where it started but over the years like i say it has changed in my eyes and not for the better.. whereas the ps3 has got stronger/better games and the ps4 seems to carry on the tradition of this..<br><br>
    * All opinions are based on information available at the time of typing and are solely my opinion and of course may change when the "xbox 720" or durango is unveiled.<br><br><br><br>
    / End of Rant lol and Bring on E3