Next Xbox requires an always-on internet connection - report

DOPEBOI Apr 2, 2012

1. DO

DOPEBOI Gold Member Gold Subscriber
    55/94

Console:
    Other
    The next Xbox requires an always-on internet connection, according to a VG247 report.

This backs up a January report that claimed the next Xbox will include technology that will somehow combat used games.

It'll also have two GPUs, according to VG247.

The graphics cards are equivalent to AMD's 7000 series, but "not CrossFire or SLI", reads the story. They will work independently, drawing separate object lines simultaneously.

The CPU will have four or six cores. One of these will work exclusively on Kinect, and another will be used for the operating system.

Other information in the VG247 report backs up what Eurogamer has heard around the next Xbox, that it is due out Christmas 2013, has a Blu-ray drive, and has Kinect 2.0 built in.

A report from earlier this year claimed the next Xbox would not include a disc drive, but this may relate to the rumoured Xbox Lite SKU, thought to be a stripped down Xbox 360 with a focus on Kinect, apps and downloadable games.

The next Xbox is reportedly codenamed Durango. Many had expected a reveal at E3 in June, but Microsoft has gone on the record to say it will not discuss new hardware until 2013.

The amount of RAM both Microsoft and Sony decide to ship inside their next generation consoles will be crucial for developers. Last month Unreal Engine maker Epic called on Microsoft and Sony to make the next Xbox and PlayStation 4 as powerful as "economically possible" to ensure both devices "remain relevant for another generation".

Reports have pegged the horsepower of the next Xbox at around six times the power of the Xbox 360. Others suggest visuals pumped out by high-end PCs using the DirectX 11 standard provide a glimpse at what will be possible.

2. ccaveman84

ccaveman84 XPG Mod Freak XPG Developer
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox
    if games are released more on a download only basis I wont be getting the next gen
    I like to have my games on disc I don't like the idea of paying so much for something I cant hold in my hands lol

and what do they mean by an always-on Internet connection?
    that the new games will only be usable if you have an Internet connection?

if this is the case then that sucks lol

what about people who don't have/want or cant afford to keep an Internet connection?
    Not everyone who owns an xbox has Internet/live so this would screw loads of people over in the process.

As for built in kinect and new blue ray I think these are the only things I like the sound of so far lol.

3. Dylandy05

Dylandy05 The Blue Waffle Power Ranger Lifetime Gold
    125/188

Console:
    Playstation 4
    why use downloads for games and not disc they gotta relise some of the uk have Fecal Leaking connection ppl will have to wait a day just to play it if so i aint bothering buying it

4. xTG_IrOnZzZ

xTG_IrOnZzZ Banned BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    This would be a joke, if they stopped used games from working they'd put shops out of business. And I know people with worse connections than dial up they can't play XBL properly never mind downloads 8GB games.

5. celvin92

celvin92 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Very true i once got a game on demand and it was about 6GB and took about 5hr to download .(i had virgin 10mb not the best still)

6. Dylandy05

125/188

Console:
    Playstation 4
    if its true i have a felling this phat and slim will becone more demanding

7. ccaveman84

ccaveman84 XPG Mod Freak XPG Developer
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox
    Yeah man so many small used game businesses would suffer and to be honest I don't see that idea taking off to well.

8. Dylandy05

125/188

Console:
    Playstation 4
    haha better than mine i tell ya

9. XenocorteX

XenocorteX Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I can somewhat understand the intent on trying to reduce, if not eliminate, the sales of used games...but when companies like Capcom continually charge for content already on the disc, and re-release "super" versions of games less than a year (i.e.: Super Street Fighter IV Turbo EX Plus Alpha: Arcade Edition), I can see why people buy used. Capcom is one of the reasons I say buy used.

10. maccax1

maccax1 Rookie
    20/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Hope this isnt true, i dont always have an internet connection depending on which house im
    at.

Dont understand why they would put kinect in the xbox when they could just sell it again and make alot of money.

Also isnt bluray owned by Sony? i saw a tv programme in which it stated sony get a percentage of every blu ray sale. so MS would have to share their profits with sony.

11. Dibs

Dibs Lifetime Gold Lifetime Gold
    55/94

Console:
    Other
    Tell you the truth dont really care what it has as long as it play's my 360 games i already have if not then i wont be getting one and can transfer achivement's and profile over to new console. Always on connection wouldnt work as stated not every one has a good connection or has a connection and im like Ccaveman84 i like to own the disk of the game i bought.