New XBUC²: Feedback and Suggestions

pogowurst Feb 17, 2013

1. po

pogowurst Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Like i already said in the XBUC History Topic, i'm the lost founder of the XBUC and i would like to further develop it.

This topic is about showing the progress made so far in developing the new XBUC. Currently i'm waiting for a reaction from lefos about this. It may be a bit tricky to get in touch with him since, if i remember correctly, he lives in the USA and i'm from germany. In the hope that we will not mind about me being back after 3(!) years i already began coding some basic functionality and doing some basic work for the new look.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:2035]
    This is the current progress made so far after some hours. I already got some basic things implemented like game and title update list and detail pages (this is what you see in the screenshot above), signing in and creating new accounts and filtering title updates by their region. Currently i'm working on the new uploader which will retrieve more information from each title update and will reject tempered updates (no "pen*s tu 1" anymore :cry: ).

The new XBUC will also be more secure. Yesterday i found some serious flaws that would allow injecting sql. Back in 2009 i didn't care about this that much. I just wanted to get it up and running back then and thought that i could fix these issues later. Looking at this now and seeing that XBUC is still alive makes me wonder if either no one has even tried to really hack it or was just way to dumb to do it. When i get in touch with lefos we'll try to fix the biggest flaws now, so the old XBUC will be safe until the new one will be deployed.

This topic is ment to be a showcase of the current progress and also a place for making suggestions and giving some feedback. I would like to know what features you are missing or where we could make it easier to find the right update for your game.

This is what i got so far:
    • Completly rewritten in Python using the Django framework
    • New, responsive and modern design using Bootstrap
    • New file uploader using HTML5
    • Check uploaded TUs if they were altered somehow
    • Better searching (live search, autocomplete, etc.) and browsing
    • Better game specific data (from thegamesdb.net or something else instead of amazon)
    • Community features like comments and user contributed changelogs
    • Say "thank you" and Flattr the uploader of the TU
    • Top contributers list, charts and statistics
    • Subscribe to games and get an email when a new update is released
    • Backward compatible API
    • Open REST-JSON API for the XBUC Utillity (see below) and other tools
    • XBUC Utillity (name may change):
      • Written in C# .NET / Mono
      • Connects with your XBUC account
      • Synchronizes all updates from games you subscribed to and saves them to your XBOX 360 USB Stick
      • Retrieves new updates from the usb stick and uploads them to XBUC automatically
      • If you have savegames on the stick, the utility will auto-subscribe the corresponding game and will auto-download new updates
      • No other tools needed anymore, yeah
    As you see, the XBUC Utillity will be the greatest addition to the current XBUC and will make it much easier to get the right update for your game. The XBUC Utillity (please suggest a better name) will do all the stuff for you automatically, like searching for new updates and uploading yet unknown updates to the XBUC.

If you got any other suggestions please let me know also your feeback is very appreciated.

There isn't any release date yet, but i think that we can get the new site up and running with basic functionality in a week. I'll then begin adding all the more complex features and the utillity.

2. tE

tEcHN0 Guest

Loving the new look, can't wait till we see a beta of some sort ;)

3. po

pogowurst Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Thank you very much tEcHN0. Once i got a answer from lefos, we could host a development snapshot at dev.xbuc.net or something like that for public testing.

xbuc_grouping.jpg
    I'm currently working on making the game detail site better. Filtering didn't work so good for games with many Media-IDs and overlapping Regions. Title Upates are now grouped by Media-ID with their Region on top. Subscribing to a Media-ID, will highlight them and move them to the top. Optional email notification will be added soon.

Uploading updates is almost finished now.
    Behind the scenes all uploads are checked if they are valid title updates. The old XBUC doesn't validate them very well. Now updates are checked by their hashes stored in the STFS container and even checked if they exist on Xbox LIVE.

Maybe someone here can help me with the following problem:
    The hash of the STFS header is used as the Content-ID for LIVE. The Xbox 360 downloads TUs from "http://download.xboxlive.com/content/<Title-ID>/<Content-ID>.xcp". Since we don't know the Content-ID before we get the file, we cannot download them directly from LIVE, so we still need users to upload their title updates. Guessing the Content-ID is not possible and title updates don't seem to be listed by the "tiles" or "catalog" api of LIVE. Even if we would know the exact location of the update we couldn't use the data, because XCP files seem to be encrypted. I didn't find anything how to decrypt them so i won't put much more effort into this. But if someone knows how, please let me know.

4. JackMack

JackMack I'm ADDZ's ***** :P BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Very good job, i use the site a lot, however some TU's sizes are IMMENSE (over 200 mb) i can't upload those? It says the size is too big, i like sharing via XBUC because it's one site that people go to for TU's.

5. tE

tEcHN0 Guest

What games have 200mb TU's? :O

6. JackMack

0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Yu-Gi-Oh Decade Duels, it has a new TU that updates the game to the PLUS version, it adds new cards etc, so it's bigger than the game :p

7. •Σиïgмλ•

•Σиïgмλ• The Walrus Of Love XPG Developer Lifetime Gold
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    the work you have done so far is a massive improvement compared to the old version
    cant wait to see the finished product ;)

8. po

pogowurst Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    @XPGJack: Is this update a real Title Update (eg popping up when launching the game and signing you off) or a free DLC like those for Test Drive Unlimited 2?

@•Σиïgмλ•: Thank you very much, wait until you see the new frontpage :)

9. JackMack

0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    It's in the 000B0000, so it's a real TU.

10. po

pogowurst Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Thanks for pointing that out. I never came across such a big update myself, but knowing that they are out there is quite important. I just raised the maximum file size to 500MB and tested it with a dummy update and it works well.

11. JackMack

0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Thanks, can't wait ;)

12. po

pogowurst Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Just want to keep you up to date to development.

Home.jpg
    Today i've got the frontpage almost finished, it's purpose is to show new visitors what the XBUC is for and what it can give to them. It tries to explain some of the main features, shows some statistics and 12 of the most recently updated games. Returning visitors will most likely use the Utillity, just search for games using the search bar or go the "Browse" page which is organized like the old XBUC.

I've also done some drafts for the Utility. I'm still looking for a good name, maybe someone here can make a suggestion.

Uitllity0001.jpg Uitllity0002.jpg Uitllity0003.jpg
    The Utlity aims to be as user friendly and easy to use as possible. It'll show you how many updates are available until a Memory Unit is plugged in. Then all games you subscribed to will be updated to the most recent version available. It can also auto subscribe to new games by scanning the contents of the MU. It'll also upload any new TU it finds to the XBUC. On first start you'll be prompted to sign in and then you won't have to worry about it anymore. Just open it once in a while and it'll take care of everything.

Oh and i'm searching for translators! My english is not perfect, so i would like to have someone who will first review the site. Every translator will get a PO file (there are many editors out there, a simple text editor works too) and then translate from english to their own language.

It would be nice if we could support all languages that have near or more then 100 million native speakers:
    English (review) assigned to tEcHN0
    German (only 92 mio but its my native language)
    Spanish
    French
    Mandarin
    Hindi
    Arabic assigned to XPGJack
    Portuguese
    Bengali
    Russian
    Japanese

Languages that are being translated by someone will be crossed out. I'll keep this list up to date. Of course you will be mentioned on the site, if you got a website or something else i will also be glad to add it there if you like. Just PM me if you are interested.

Tomorrow I'll fly on holiday. I'll be back next week. Until then there won't be much progress but i'll still check my emails and answer any questions.

13. tE

tEcHN0 Guest

I will review the english if you want ;)

And holy crap, it keeps looking sweeter and sweeter!

14. JackMack

0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Very nice indeed, i speak fluent English, and Arabic is my first language.

15. po

pogowurst Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Thanks guys! I've assigned tEcHN0 to English and XPGJack to Arabic. You'll get the language files once every feature for the beta release is done so you can translate them in one go.

16. le

lefos Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Pogo, please check your PM. I never expected to see you guys again! I do have a lot for you if you want to work on this

17. tE

tEcHN0 Guest

Dunno how I missed this, but sounds good, I'll be ready when you send it.

:O I can see a sweet looking xbuc coming soon

18. po

pogowurst Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    It took some time, but now it's (almost) ready :)

The current version is now available for public testing at: http://beta.xbuc.net

Some things i'm still working on (they will be added in this order):
    • Done: Comments
    • Done: User profiles (maybe with avatars? of course :))
    • Done: Flattr-Button for contributers (will be activated when beta is done, to not confuse flattr)
    • Done: Top-Contributers list (addition: "most active" users and "newest members")
    • Done: Blog (won't have to spam the forums anymore)
    • Done: XBUC Sync (formerly known as XBUC Utility)
    • Done: API documentation
    • Done: Backward compatible API (xbuc.net/xml.php?search=xxxxx)
    • Current: Correcting wrong auto-detected boxart and covers
    • Maybe: E-Mail notification when a new update is uploaded for a game you subscribed to
      (first have to check if Celery can run on our host)
    • Maybe: Better searching
      (auto completion, live search, low priorty because i think search is ok right now)
    • Maybe: Something like achievements, for example: "I survived the betatest" :)
    Those features will be added very soon. So be sure to check the site every day :)

Notes:
    Uploading title updates doesn't work in any browser. Browsers lagging some HTML5 features like FileReader (especially IE) will fail (without any error message, will be fixed).

The stable version at xbuc.net and the beta version at beta.xbuc.net are not in sync. Though updates uploaded to xbuc.net will appear at beta.xbuc.net when i run a migration script from time to time, this won't work the other way around.

19. X9Cinema

X9Cinema Resident GFX Guru Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Nice update, allot of time and work went into this I see, very nice! ;)

20. Bu

Bullet Guest

WOW ! Nice work , i can see you have been busy. The new site is looking great.