New RGH ... Dashlaunch, Freestyle Dash, Freeboot ... Confused

bugsysiegals Dec 5, 2012

1. bu

bugsysiegals Newbie
    35/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I'll finally be doing RGH1.0 to my Falcon in the next week or two. I'm excited but confused as hell with all the stuff I've been reading. Perhaps someone can clear up a few things.

I've seen all these softwares discussed and I'm not sure what's essential here. It was my understanding I'd have to install XeXmenu and Dashlaunch to get up and running. Is this true? Is this the best setup? Are these other softwares (Freestyle Dash, Freeboot, etc.) things which are installed after the fact??

Can somebody could please tell me a bit more about these and what the latest and greatest setup is? I'd rather set this up right from the start and since I've never used any of these things I haven't a clue what's good or not.

2. IIEvolution85II

IIEvolution85II Gamerscore Wreckage :) Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Read the information here : http://www.xpgamesaves.com/forum/164-jtag-rgh-tutorials/ And you will be up and running in no time ;)

3. sensi420

sensi420 Contributor TeamXPG
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox
    Yeah i would study/read before you end up with a expensive paper weight/ doorstop.
    But in short
    Freeboot should already be on there so don't worry about that.
    Dashlaunch and Fresstyle dash is what you want installed to be prperly up and running
    Xexmenu is old and out of date

4. bu

bugsysiegals Newbie
    5/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Ok, so after reading the tutorials again I see that flashing Freeboot is the last step of installing the CoolRunner. If I understand correctly, the console will boot up to the default dashboard and appear the same; however, Freeboot simply runs in the background or patches the default dashboard so you can use a larger hard drive, play all region games, play patched games, etc. ... correct?

From there you want to install Dashlaunch and Freestyle Dash. I haven't seen much about what DL does but so far it seems Dashlaunch only launches apps, emulators, and custom dashboards. Perhaps this is a patch that allows launching these from the original dashboard? I'm not certain why you would need DL if you install FSD unless perhaps DL is needed to boot from the regular dash to FSD ...

And are you saying that ALL the features of XeXmenu can be found within FSD?? I understand it's probably older but just wondering if I'll miss any features by opting not to install it.

5. Deeked

Deeked 3 Percenter Gold Subscriber
    35/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I'm almost positive Dashlaunch is what's needed in order to boot into any custom dash and load plugins (there might be others, but this seems the most common). Don't quote me on this, but the way it's set up I can't see Freestyle loading without it. If you look at the launch.ini file created by Dashlaunch, it's pretty much telling FSD to load, as well as any other plugins or custom boot screens you would like.