Need help with resistor please!!!

gearhead514 Mar 24, 2013

1. ge

gearhead514 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Can someone please help me? I have a XBOX 360 with a Jasper motherboard and I am hoping someone has one sitting out and can take a resistor measurement for me. I was removing the X-clamps that someone had twisted all to crap and had a hard time getting them off. My tool slipped and I broke off a small resistor on the bottom side of the motherboard. I don't have the resistor to measure it's rating because it flew somewhere that I cannot see. I can solder a new one in place if I knew what rating it was. The resistor is labeled R5P1 and it is close to one of the holes for the Graphics Processing Chip Heatsink. There is a capacitor next to it which is C5P1 which is undamaged. If someone could please use an ohmmeter and take a resistance reading across R5P1 and please tell me what the ohm reading is so I can repair it, I would greatly appreciate it. I am stuck here. Most of the small resistors like the one I need are between 1K and 10K. So, it should be somewhere in between there. Thank you.

2. t3

t3fury Guest

i dont have one open at the moment but if i remember correctly it 1.2ohms this is one of the problems for error code 0022

3. jayt180703

jayt180703 i think ive broke it
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    dont you have any more broken 360s if so unsolder one from it and replace .

4. ge

gearhead514 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    @J4Y - No, I don't have any more broken XBox's laying around. I wish I did. That would have made it really easy. I could have measured it and ran to Radio shack and soldered in a generic one.

@t3fury - is that 1.2K ohms? Because 1.2 ohms is almost a direct short. I could just bridge it with solder. The other ones around it are between 1K and 10K ohms. Just curious. I just want to be sure. I tried to fire it up without the resistor because someone said it was just a decoupling cap and you don't need it or the resistor, but they are wrong. It comes on with 2 red rings. It worked before, but it was just overheating.

Thanks guys for your input. If you find out any more, please let me know.

5. ge

gearhead514 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    OK. Got it resolved. I found a post on another website that states that R5P1 and C5P1 are not necessary for the console to operate and that they are simply a decoupling circuit. I tried to solder a bridge across R5P1 with a small soldering iron, but still had problems. The C5P1 came off because it was so close, and since they were in parallel, I put one drop of solder across all four posts where R5P1 and C5P1 used to be and then put system partially together to test. It started up now without red lights. I finished with my overheating repairs. I replaced the thermal paste under the CPU and GPU heatsinks, replaced the GPU heatsink, and installed twin core internal cooling fans. I put the rest of the system back together completely, and it works great. So, for future reference, I soldered a bridge across R5P1 and C5P1 and my system works great. I played it for 2 hours straight in an enclosed compartment with no problems before I posted this.

6. jayt180703

jayt180703 i think ive broke it
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    glad you got this sorted mate if youre uk based i can send you a board for spares/parts if you wish .