1. Jonny Weston

Jonny Weston
    Administrator
    XPG Administrator XPG Developer
    145/188

Console:
    Computer
    By Jonny Weston

Every year EA launches a new FIFA game, and they always claim that it’s better than the last. I still remember playing FIFA 2007 back in the day. It was one of the best games of its time. As the years went on, I did skip a few releases, though. For me, each new FIFA was repetitive, but the latest release from EA claimed to introduce a host of changes to refresh the gameplay. After reading a few impressions on the game, I decided to give it a go myself. So, without further ado, let’s hop into the experience I had playing FIFA 18 for the first time.

Initial Impressions:

First and foremost, the game hasn’t lost its energy. I could actually feel the excitement among the crowd in the game as soon as the intro match started. FIFA 18 feels infinitely more polished. I could immediately tell that I was playing a very mature version of FIFA.

Graphics:

I usually don’t go on bragging about graphics in FIFA, but this time the engine felt more suited to the gameplay. FIFA adopted the Frostbite game engine since 2017, and the actions/animations felt better defined. I have to commend EA on its character design specifically. The footballers’ expressions are similar to what you would see if you were watching a live match on television. The stadium graphics seemed to have been improved upon too, but the big difference here was in the crowd. My god, the fans are lovely! The crowd in FIFA has certainly come a long way, and this time around EA has finally perfected the recipe. I was thrilled to see that the crowd can now celebrate with the players when they come near, and each fan looks as realistic as everyone on the field. Also, different locations now imbue a look to match the true weather of the stadium. For example, if you are playing in Europe, the tones will be subtler and appear more repressed than, say, when you play in South America. Stadiums in warmer climates boast a very pronounced sun tone. The graphics are really in a league of their very own.

[​IMG]

Gameplay:

The gameplay has been vastly improved upon from FIFA 17. It no longer feels sluggish like the installments that came before. In my opinion, it does feel a bit less fluid compared to PES 18, but hopefully it will be patched with a future update. Also, the team coordination is much closer to what you would see in real life. Each team’s 4-4-2 formation is unique to itself, much like what you will find with real life teams. Team tactics have been vastly worked upon, and each player has basically the same set of moves that they have in reality. I must say, EA’s motion capture seems to have paid off.

Game modes:

There are two game modes, as usual: Career and Journey. The protagonist from FIFA 17 makes a comeback here, and the title, “The Hunter’s Return,” is quite catchy. Signing deals now treats you to a complete background story via a cut scene that shows what happens between players and clubs. This is a FIFA game that you need to play to fully understand how pristine the final execution is.

Verdict:

If I had to rate this game, I would give it a solid 8.5/10. The ever so slight input lag does get in the way of doing fast-paced maneuvers, and there are a few noticeable glitches all around. But other than that, the initial release of FIFA 18 is a much better overall package than its predecessors. I certainly prefer this rendition to PES18. FIFA 18 is available on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. If you love football, I recommend you get your hands on it soon, if you haven’t already.

Jonny Weston- XpGamesaves Admin

• Agree Agree x 1