Minecraft Fans will be used to the games free roam, open world style gameplay that lacks any sort of story, but all that is about to get turned on its square head now that Mojang have formed a collaboration with Telltale Games to form an episodic game called Minecraft: Story Mode.
As the title suggests, the new Minecraft will feature a story mode which will launch next year on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.
Telltale Games, developers of hit game franchise spinoffs such as The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, and Game of Thrones announced today that "Minecraft: Story Mode will be an all-new narrative-driven game series developed by Telltale in collaboration with Mojang. Set in the world of Minecraft, the series will feature an original story, driven by player choice. It will not be an add-on for Minecraft, but rather a separate stand-alone product."
Telltale's game series will mix new characters with familiar themes, in an entirely original Minecraft experience, inspired by the Minecraft community and the game that continues to inspire a generation
Mojang had this to say on their official blog:
In other news, weâ€™re collaborating with Telltale Games to create Minecraft: Story Mode! Here are some bullet points to celebrate!
Expect more details to be released about the new Minecraft Story Mode sometime in the next year! Until then... we wait.
- Minecraft: Story mode will be a narrative-driven video game created by Telltale Games. It will be about Minecraft.
- Mojang is collaborating with Telltale and members of the community to make Minecraft: Story Mode as Minecrafty as possible.
- The first episode will be released some time in 2015, and will be available on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.
- Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another developer-collaboration series between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software.
- Weâ€™re not intending on creating an â€œofficialâ€ story for Steve, or explaining the world of Minecraft in detail. It will be a cool game.
- The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. No really. It was a joke.