Microsoft was surprised by the backlash on Xbox One’s original policies

XPGBuSh Sep 5, 2013

1. XPGBuSh

XPGBuSh XPG'S FIFA KING XPG Retired Staff
    185/188

Console:
    Playstation 4
    [​IMG]

Microsoft’s Albert Penello has said in an interview with Revision3 that the company was “surprised” by the backlash they received on Xbox One’s original policies. The original policies included a 24 hour online check in, no support for used games, downloading of all games onto system before playing, and more. In June, Microsoft changed all of these policies back to what it was before.

“I think with time, people have understood what we were trying to do, and I’m sure you’ve seen it with the fans,” he said. “They’ve been saying ‘God, I wish some of this stuff would come back.’ I think the problem was that people got in their minds that what we were trying to do was somehow evil or anti-customer.”

“We were looking at what Steam does, we were looking at what iOS is doing, we were looking where the customers were going and saying ‘I think we can actually give you a better all-digital experience.’”

Microsoft did not expect fans to react this way because they were looking at other models and came up with what they thought would the best for next-generation. Many gamers went to preorder PS4 over Xbox One, due to the fact that they had to check in every 24 hours online with Xbox One. Microsoft took back these policies and changed it to match other platforms.

Microsoft thought that the change from disc based games to digital only “was gonna happen sooner than the customer thought it was going to happen.”

“We took a hard stance on it, and I think some customers were like, ‘Yeah I’m in!’, and other customers were like ‘Whoa whoa whoa, what about my situation.’ We were surprised at how vocal it was, and we were surprised at the reaction and assumptions that people had about what we were trying to do.”

Source - NextVG

2. XPG Paddy

XPG Paddy FTP Staff Lifetime Gold
    185/188

Console:
    Xbox
    If games were not like £40-50+ Then maybe this idea would of been good steam games are only £20-30 Well PC games that is.