Microsoft Granted Patent For Muscle Controller

Bezza May 2, 2012

1. Bezza

Bezza Naughty but Nice XPG Retired Staff
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    Microsoft has been granted a patent for Electromyography (EMG) technology, which allows users to interact with smartphones, games consoles and other devices through muscle movements.
    Patent images (via Engadget) suggest that Microsoft is planning to adapt the tech into a ”Wearable Electromyography-Based Controller,” which will take the form of an armband. Another option is to attach sensor nodes to the arms, legs, chest and head.
    [​IMG]

Technology like this could allow hardware such as Kinect to pick up on even the tiniest muscle movement. Theoretically it could even allow you to free run and turn in games, removing the need for rails. This is some pretty advanced tech that we probably won’t be seeing for a good few years, that is if it even gets past the design stage. It could seriously improve the accuracy of Kinect and open up new avenues for developers to explore. Freedom is key when removing the controller, and this could be the answer. However, a more user-friendly solution will have to be discovered along the way. Sticking sensors all over your body before you play would be a right pain.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
  2. Bu

Bullet Guest

This is one step closer to having chips embedded to operate gadgets.

Thats what i see for the future.

3. s1m0n

s1m0n XPG Supporter
    35/47

Console:
    Xbox
    they cant patent the adult version untill after 9pm

4. Paipan

Paipan Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    OMG, gone are the days of relaxing with a good game after a long, hard day... I better sign up at the gym because I probably lack the stamina to play through Dead Rising if I actually have to run and swing it like Frankie West.^^