Microsoft 'working to address' Xbox One DRM concerns

xpghax May 30, 2013

1. xpghax

xpghax Gold Section Mod/Uploader
    0/47

Console:
    Other
    Microsoft says it's well aware of the public's Xbox One DRM concerns and plans to address the situation.

Earlier this week, participants in an online campaign urged key Sony executives to avoid replicating Xbox One pre-owned game fees and always-online technology.
    Addressing news coverage of the anti-DRM campaign in a forum post on his blog, Xbox Live director of programming Larry 'Major Nelson' Hyrb said:

[​IMG]
    "We're fully aware of what is going on. I am also working on a few things to address it. I can't say much more right now. But we ARE listening."

As it stands, Microsoft says it will allow players to trade games and will tolerate offline play up to a point. The activation fee attached to each pre-owned game purchase is not finalised, nor is the length of time that Xbox One owners will be able to play offline.

According to official Microsoft site XWire: "[Xbox One] does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet.

"We're designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection."

Shortly after the Xbox One reveal, Microsoft's corporate vice president Phil Harrison was quoted as saying that Xbox One will require an internet connection once every 24 hours.

However, asked to confirm the once every 24 hours requirement in a subsequent Xbox One interview with CVG, Harrison said: "We've not made a specific announcement on the details of that."

If not before, expect Microsoft to release an update on the situation at its E3 press conference on June 10.

source: CVG

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013
  2. Vash The Stampede

Vash The Stampede Developer XPG Developer TeamXPG
    205/282

Console:
    Xbox
    man they are going trying to cover there ass's "it will never need to be online but yet it has to be connected once every 24 hrs... that still doesn't help then people that don't have internet"

and that they will tolerate offline play up to a point they shouldn't care if people are letting there friends play their games they paid for offline on top of that how about if there friends want to go online with it that still makes me think they are going to be making you pay that extra fee i can understand the monthly fee for connecting to the server but come one a pre own fee..

3. NuBlue

NuBlue Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Good, can't wait for E3!!!

4. Abrakadeadguy

Abrakadeadguy Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    What does DRM mean?

- Looked it up. It stands for Digital Rights Management.

Please, when posting acronyms, put its un-acronymed meaning in quotes next to the first instance. It makes people like me not feel as dumb. Also avoids the needless google search.

5. hellojax

hellojax Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    MICROSOFT please don't disappoint me at E3..