It's Time to Resurrect Onimusha

Burrows Feb 6, 2011

1. Burrows

Burrows Like A Boss Lifetime Gold
    125/188

Console:
    Xbox
    Capcom certainly has no shortage of franchises, including some that have remained dormant for several years. One of the company's bigger successes of the past decade was Onimusha, a series that started in 2001 and quickly spawned six entries within five years. But since 2006, Onimusha has remained dormant, and fans have wondered if Capcom would return to the game on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

Onimusha has had a number of notable producers and directors over the years, including former Capcom head of production Keiji Inafune and current Capcom head of production Jun Takeuchi. But another name involved with the series is Yoshinori Ono, who happens to also be Capcom's main Street Fighter producer. Ono stopped by IGN's offices recently, and we had a chance to ask if fans could expect Onimusha to return.

"The time feels right to me. It feels like it's the time to resurrect that series," Ono said in our interview. "But I wouldn't want to do the things we've done before. I think it might be time to progress beyond the standard single-player adventure. There should be ways to expand upon what we've done while involving the community more. Perhaps implement some sort of multiplayer into a game like that.

"I don't have those ideas solidified yet, but when these ideas come to fruition, when I feel good about them and I feel we can do something, I will most certainly take them in for approval with the higher-ups. It's something I'm very interested in doing."

From IGN.Com