I Destroyed My Liteon 9504 Drive During Kamikaze Hack LOL

savstar Mar 5, 2013

1. sa

savstar Newbie BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Hi,

Just thought I would post, and let you guys know that I bricked my Liteon 9504 drive, which was updated to an 0272 firmware LOL.

Well my xk3y decided to develop a fault with the SD card reader, had no luck in fixing that £70, now waste of space, and ready for bin piece of junk IMO - LOL.

Now I thought I would try and install LT 3.0 for the first time on my drive, as I watched several tutorials on how to do kamikaze hack, as my drive had the winbond chip.

So I managed to get the drive into vendor mode, also used Jungleflasher to carry out unlocking the spi. Now everything was going fine using soldering iron method, and I got the info onscreen saying status 0x00 - showing drive was unlocked.

When I went to write the LT 3.0 to the drive, it always showed status 0x80 and drive could not be written to. Also after resending intro, drive still showed it was in vendor mode, however still showed spi was locked, so proceed with spi unlock again, which I managed to get status 0x00 - (unlocked).

Tried writing firmware LT 3.0 to the drive, however got 0x80 status again. So I thought maybe I had not drilled chip deep enough with soldering iron. So tried drilling a little deeper, only to find that my soldering iron had gone through the other side of the PCB :0

So tried power cycling drive, and it would not eject or function, so to put it bluntly, my drive is bricked and now I need a replacement drive.

cheapest I've seen is £35 on eBay for an unlocked 9504 liteon. So thinking of getting one and flashing to LT 3.0.

Also thinking of RGH with this system, however I just need the money to buy all the parts, which I do not have at the moment.

So buying a new drive, seems to be my only viable option.

I suppose I did not mind bricking the drive, as I believe it was somehow faulty, causing my console to randomly restart, that's why I tried the kamikaze hack anyway, as I had nothing to lose, if I did brick this drive, as was gonna buy a replacement anyway.

This was my first attempt at kamikaze hack, by the way LOL. Still feel like a noob for bricking it though, as this is the first failed drive i've ever had in the last 6 years of the xbox 360 modding scene.

I guess this is why they call it the kamikaze hack for a reason LOL ;)

2. AD

ADDZ Guest

Damn that's hard luck.

I've always used a drill the solder tip is a little too big for my liking. Did id make a big hole or not? ...can you upload a picture if it's not too bad?

Sometimes you can fill it with conductive glue as you flash it but that's a last resort and not 100% going to fix for you.

3. xDeM0nx

xDeM0nx XPGamesaves Groupie
    155/188

game design
    Home Page:
    Console:
    Xbox One
    haha that sounded fun mate but we live and learn and then we grow hopefully ... offtopic: you need gold access to the forums?
    go get entered in my awesome lifetime gold giveaway cheers!

4. JackMack

JackMack I'm ADDZ's ***** :P BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Some drives are like that and the only option would be, to replace the PCB, sucks for you though, i hate bricking drives too.

Off topic: Evul, what's with the Hentai in your sig?

5. sa

savstar Newbie BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Cheers for the replies guys,

I'm just frustrated, that I'm unable to play any games at the moment, due to:

1) My Xk3y is dead
    2) My drive is bricked

Hopefully going to order a new 9504 drive with unlocked PCB tomorrow.

Will it be, just a matter of spoofing my 0272 dummy.bin to LT 3.0 then writing the firmware, once I get the drive into vendor mode?

As I only managed to retrieve my drive key, via slimkey method ages ago.

Just wanted to mainly get the drive sorted in the meantime, until I acquire all my RGH components to RGH the console.

Also i've been reading about the Matrix Trident triple nand, would this be a cheaper alternative to buying a Demon? and would it be just as good as the Demon? Sorry to go slightly off topic BTW ;)

6. sa

savstar Newbie BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I would post a pic mate, but don't think it would be worth the effort. As the drive is most definitely bricked, as some of the right side of the chip has broken off, as soldering iron went straight through other side of chip and PCB :0

Call me, heavy handed LOL, but I did not intend to go straight through the PCB, I didn't realise the chips were so thin, less than half a centimeter thick.

Thanks for the tips and reply though mate, and thanks for considering to try and help me out with the situation.

I have got a spare 74850c drive laying around, but have heard spoofing the phat drives to slim drives is a big risk for a ban from XBL, so that idea has gone straight out the window.