how many times can i flash my Nand?

stinger101 Sep 21, 2013

1. st

stinger101 Newbie
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    As title says, I'm just curious if anyone knows how long Nand lifespan usually is. My board is a falcon v2. Also I've been flashing my Nand often, tweaking settings here and there trying to get my ram temps and things under 140F, AUD_CLAMP enabling, etc. however whenever i do flash the Nand i shutdown the box unplug everything if I'm using a programmer if not just unplug the box, push the power button a cpl times to dissipate remaining energy and let sit for about 20 seconds, reconnect and boot. then i make a dump, naming it after options i chose in the setup, I have no bad blocks and I've flashed more than a couple of times, also getting decent consistent boot times 4-8 cycles usually, sometimes instaboot.

2. begallegal1

begallegal1 Medicine Man Lifetime Gold TeamXPG
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    I personally have never put more than about 50 flashes to a Falcon board,, but I have a Jtag xenon that literally has been flashed hundreds of times and i switch on a regular basis between Freeboot and Dev kernel's and on various dashes from 15574-current, I have a whole folder of nands on it's hdd and flash the one I need at the time with 360Nandflasher.

I would have to guess that the life of these nand's is longer than most of the rest of the components will last, most consoles will die and be trashed or require major repair (reball) before the flash will die, I have even brought bricked/crossflashed consoles back from the dead by sending an erase cmd in nandpro at the exact same time you plug the console power in , jumpstarting them back to life :lol:

I would only recommend that you always keep multiple backups and if you don't own one, get a hardware flasher like a nand-x , just in case you ever get stuck in a bad spot.

3. st

stinger101 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    hm as i had figured, my experience with 360s in the past has been mainly with RROD mainly with E74 and cpu reflows. this is my first hacked 360, I've owned a soft modded, that i had to hard mod Xbox classic, but its still kicking around here somewhere. experience goes well beyond Xbox classics and 360s tho so I've seen some messed up crap happen to consoles. but I've never seen a 360 die because the Nand crapped, only way I've seen that is with a bad update or they were dicking around and dropped the box or shorted crap out, or it RROD and they were idiots and did the towel trick, seen caps melted because of that. I do own a JR-Pv2, got it with the R-jtag ultimate. hence why i haven't been afraid of flashing a non-booting nand to my console because i can recover it.

"I have even brought bricked/crossflashed consoles back from the dead by sending an erase cmd in nandpro at the exact same time you plug the console power in , jumpstarting them back to life"

lol that's freaking hilarious, ill keep that trick in mind for future repairs.

all in all every box is different and each as an attitude, some like to run and run others like to run and crap out lol. Another question tho, is the Falcon v2 any better than just the regular falcon, and also how does it rank as far as average lifespan and favor-ability for hacking? Mine was made in aug 08 hence the v2 it has HDMI as well. As for multiple backups i have 4 dumps of my original stock nand in 3 different locations on my current pc hdd, one on a backup usb and another on a usb hdd, I don't play when it comes to backing stuff up lol

4. begallegal1

begallegal1 Medicine Man Lifetime Gold TeamXPG
    235/282

Console:
    Xbox
    the only dif i've read between v1 and v2 falcons is the ram chip count and location , which allowed for a bit better cooling, always a good thing. I'm guessing that these were all trials for what would become the Jasper, which in my experience is the best phat console for reliability and near perfect glitch times, the only down fall to Jaspers is currently the out of the box dev kernel solutions (RGLoader etc) do not offer support for consoles with internal memory, but for regular use on freeboot kernel in my opinion nothing beats a BB Jasper

As long as you do what you can to keep that Falcon cool (quality, fresh chip paste is a huge plus here) i'm sure it will give you fun for a long time to come ;)

5. st

stinger101 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Ah i see, ya i haven't seen much about the differences, Jaspers so I've read are great, I had one bought it secondhand from a reseller, dvd drive just **** the bed in it one day about a week after i bought it. I wasn't happy, and I got this falcon in exchange, Shes doin me well so far and i hope ot keep her runnin for a while, planning on adding a bigger fan, mounted on the side of the case next to the dvd drive but over the cpu/gpu extension heat sinks. I just tweaked the power mode settings a bit, was able to drop a few degrees off, now running currently around 115/130,120/135,130/145ish. cpu min/max, gpu min/max, Ram min/max, i also just lowered my power mode and vcs controls to 8280(stock)/8235 and my ram stay stable at about 135.

Would you have any idea where i could pull 12 volts off the board preferably at least .3 amps? I have a big fan and I'd like to install it with a variable resistor that i can externally mount and control. I want this box to last as long as possible, it cost me $120 just for the core system, and another $60 for the ultimate kit, and however much the hacked 320gb hdd is worth(I put it in my stock 60gb case lol), well worth it but still want to get most my moneys worth out of it, I work hard for my money and make an honest living I am not in any way rich so getting the extra money for this project took a good bit of budgeting, and if this one craps out i can just buy new qsbs take the glitch chip out of this one and transfer it over to a new box. so this box to me is well worth the money and the time I've put into making it what it is, I painted it semi gloss black, and scuffed it up all over and went down through the paint in spots so it looks like it's been through hell and back, but in a cool way, I have the ROL debug LED pad soldered to my 3-4 player leds so both are constantly red and blink when the chip glitches. ill post a couple pictures when i can get good lighting.

EDIT: just found a post about the differences between falcons v1, v2, and v3s. v1s had 8 ram chips 4 on top 4 on bottom, v2 had 4 just on top thus allowing more airflow over them keeping the ram temps down, v3s had 4 ram chips as well as moved capacitors near the cpu.

EDIT2:Also i have experienced occasionally lockups, sometimes fatal exceptions but i have exchandler enabled in dash launch 3.0, so it will reboot usually other times it just locks up, i power her down leave it sit for a few minutes and turn her back on and she usually boots up fine, sometimes takes more than a few cycles and if it takes a while i power her off let it rest for about 10-20 seconds and turn it back on normally boots after 4-8 cycles after that. also when playing black ops 2 zombies when i get to a high enough level(25-30ish) it seems or play zombies long enough it will freeze, then i just reboot, and sometimes she does the no boot for like 10-15 cycles thing usually after i had shut her down then reboot after a few seconds. However it does boot well when it does want to boot and id say boot rate cold is probly 95%. I can't use rater because my cat chewed the plug end of the cord because i installed everything flashed booted rated got it working and then assembled with the nand cable and rater cable run through the corner of the case as a precaution in case i flash a non-booting nand i don't have to disassemble to flash and rate, and they got to it when i wasn't looking, luckily they didn't chew the nand cable so I'm good just cant rate. I have also moved my wires around shortened a few like k because I placed my chip under the drive next to the gpu heatsink over my nand-x qsb, I used a shorter/stiffer Gnd wire, attached to the av port so it wouldn't allow me to mount the chip on top of the dvd drive, and it works well most of the time, i made a folded electrical tape sheath of sorts for it to prevent any sort of shorts and to make sure it stays in place, my cpu_rst is run through the hole near my southbridge under the mobo to the main rst point, routed to