Jonny Weston Apr 21, 2017

1. Jonny Weston

Jonny Weston
    Administrator
    XPG Administrator XPG Developer
    145/188

Console:
    Computer
    I went for the word “trundles” in the headline because “warthogs” isn’t really a verb and I don’t know if I have the literary capital to pull off that particular innovation. Sorry, everyone. Anyway, a spruced-up version of Halo Wars the First has come out on Steam, allowing many to play the spin-off’d RTS for the first time. Previously it was only available as an inclusion on a special edition of the recent Halo Wars 2, which is a Windows 10-only affair as far as PCs are concerned. This is good news nonetheless, but there is a multiplayer catch. You can’t play with Windows Store chums.

[​IMG]

“Network play for this product is exclusive to Steam,” says a disclaimer at the bottom of the store page. “Cross-play with Windows Store versions of the same game is not supported.” So that’s a bummer, and although it is probably down to technical limitations it still has the effect of a schism between player communities.

Despite that problem the game itself is still tooting its horn: “improved graphics, new achievements and all the DLC from the landmark game,” it says, winking smugly into your face. I verily enjoyed Halo back in thon age of glory but I’m not sure if that love is enough to pick up a reworked spin-off from a genre that is better served elsewhere, “definitive” edition or not. If you think I’m a fool, or you just want to crack it out for old times sake, it’s on there for £15.99/$19.99. Our Fraser enjoyed the sequel despite its origins as a slower-paced console RTS, saying: “Being able to relax on the sofa while playing an RTS using a controller is an enjoyable novelty.”

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun