Gamers Want Games Consoles, Microsoft Learned The Hard Way!

Bullet May 14, 2014

1. Bu

Bullet Guest

Its less than 5 months after the launch of the next gen consoles and Sony got off to a great start leaving Microsoft stood in their dust wondering what went wrong.

Lets be honest the Xbox One from the start has had a bad rap due to a lot of bad decisions. Microsoft were stabbing around offering a bells and whistles Next Gen console with features like 'Always On' where you would need to be connected to live at all times, it was going to prevent game sharing, it has a TV menu, apps behind a Gold subscription pay wall, Kinect that was needed for the core functions of the Xbox One, and the one thing all these extras have in common? They have all been reversed, including the need for a Kinect in the latest U-turn made by the giant corporation in a bid to try and save the already struggling games console.

I am an Xbox fan and still have an Xbox One, but I can see that MS really got it wrong this time, there is so much wrong with the Xbox One that I cant see it ever catching up to the PS4.
    Yes, Microsoft are pumping out regular updates to rectify the flawed user interface, and a lot of the issues have already been patched up, like the friends list, recent players list, battery indicator, all things that should of been done way before launch that makes me feel the Xbox One wasn't built predominantly with gaming in mind. Most of the focus appears to have been on Kinect integration, TV menu and other thrills and spills rather than building a games console first and then bringing out the additional flowery bits and bobs!

Lets be honest here, Sony got it right by keeping it simple first and then building off of the main platform with a streaming device for backwards compatibility and coming soon Virtual reality. So why didn't MS do the same? Just build an awesome games console that was made for playing games and then add the rest as optional extras after the launch?

Did they assume that after the Xbox 360s success against the PS3 that it would be a given their next gen consoles would just fly off the shelves to a loyal fan base?

Who knows but evidently Respawn Entertainments games Titanfall hasn't saved the failing console which has forced the company to now sell Xbox One bundles without the Kinect to compete with the lower priced PS4.

Microsoft is planning to make the Xbox One operating system easier to use with controllers so expect yet another new update soon which will probably weight in around 2-3 GB taking up yet more valuable limited Hard drive space! On the plus side there may actually be some performance gains from not having the Kinect as the 10 per cent time-sliced reservation on the GPU for system processing can hopefully be freed up.

Now that there is a cheaper option without Kinect would you consider buying an Xbox One?

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. AD

ADDZ Guest

That's all I wanted, we have tablets, iPhones, iWatch (soon), Android and smart TV act so why the need for Netflix and Skype or the other OS on the XB1, we just want to have an hour in a virtual world with Lara Croft

3. backudog

backudog Newbie
    35/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I think the fact they built it as an all in one console as apposed to games first, is that the "suits" at microsoft got involved instead of just leaving it to the people who know what they're doing, possibly sticking thier oar in with budget restraints on how much power n speed etc the console could have so they can "maximise thier profits"! I could be completely wrong but thats what i feel happened.

4. TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce CanEH!dian
    35/47

Console:
    Xbox
    microsoft is trying to get it to be the all in one to lure in perspective shoppers who have kids but also want everything run through 1 box instead of having 3/4 boxes to do things but what they dont know is that 90% of their sales im huessing is pure gamers and we dont want all in one we want a console not some spiffy digital tv box controller

5. Bl

Blackspine Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I am done! No more consoles after the 360 & ps3, in fact i've been cracking out on nothing but Dreamcast and old PS1&2 & original xbox. There are just too many great games on these old systems that I need (& desire) to complete....and besides, I detest online gaming. I & my chums were always LAN freaks but MicroLimp and most game developers have decided to make system link gaming online enabled. Everyone that I gamed with before pretty much plays vintage games too. It does simply come down to wanting a GAMING ONLY cosole with games that at least have a single player campaign. I will never play Titan fall because of this.

6. backudog

backudog Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Of course they have left it too late! Thier machine is underpowered compared to sonys, the price was too high to start with, they bundled it with kinect that no one really wanted (even though i personally have grown to like it) and were focussing on all the wrong things (movies tv etc).
    There is nothing they can do about the first point, and although everything they are doing now to remedy the other points is a step in the right direction, i think they may have tainted themselves too much with thier poor choices at the start so its all too little too late,
    Money is tight for pretty much everybody and if you were a gamer who wanted a nextgen console, even if you had been a die hard Xbox fan, theres a good chance you have already gone out and bought the cheaper, more powerful PS4 (possibly).
    Whats REALLY hurting both consoles the most at the minute though is the lack of decent, proper next gen looking, games! and Unless Microsoft announce a ton of amazing exclusives at E3 i feel they will fall even further behind!

7. mOnolith

mOnolith Rookie
    20/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Still dont want a bone.....m$ are digging a very deep grave for themselves...and it seems like they wont ever get out...one PR disaster after another,they really need to get their heads outta their arse's...and wise up before its to late...

8. s1m0n

s1m0n XPG Supporter
    35/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Don't think it's too late, they are still selling quite a lot . Microsofts biggest mistake was its e3 debacle and using a weirded memory system ddr3+esram.

Technically the custom gpu can do what the ps4 gpu can do but because of the ram it's just can't do it because developers are not using it correctly or just bypass it. The new development kit that automatically uses esram and takes the problem away from the developers should improve everything massively.

There is no denying the ps4 is more powerful but if the x1 is used the way it should be we should only see 10 - 20 % difference in power and most of the time we shouldn't see much of a difference.

At the end of the day it's a console and if you wanted 1080p games with uber textures you are always better off going down the PC route and it should be about the games on consoles and not how many pixels are being used .

I would however say 60fps should be in all games more so in this gen.