Detailed Noob Guide To Minecraft.

Davyzz Jul 8, 2012

1. Davyzz

Davyzz Loser BANNED
    155/188

Console:
    Xbox
    This was not created by me, this was created by "racist" all props go to him/her.

After creating my own thread i realized I didn't have the time to finish, after looking around for a better tutorial that my limited skills could create I found this one.

Minecraft novice's may want to read or may not.

Guide to setting up your first world!

So first off, you will need to make a world, Easily done by navigating the main menu when
    first loaded on minecraft. If you don't already know, just click the "Play game" button.You will be taken to a new screen with 2 options, one says "Create new world" the other, "Play tutorial". I skipped the tutorial because I have played minecraft and already knew how to play. But if you feel that you need a little more help, then by all means, use the in game tutorial. But after you Create a new world a new menu will come up and should look like this,

[​IMG]

I usually keep online game on, but always make it invite only.

Name your world anything you want. Then theres an option for a seed of your choice, seeds are basically characters used to set your spawn point and make different map generations. Not putting a seed into the option will make it a random seed and you cannot change the seed after your world has been created.

Now pick your difficulty, refer to this chart to determine where you would like to be.

[​IMG]

Once done with all of that, click "Create new world"

There you, you now have your new world.

First night tips

Now that you have your own world, you are probably wondering. "What do I do now?"

Do not fret young one. I will show you the steps needed to be successful and still have fun.

Day time is only 10 minutes long in real time, and night time is 7 minutes. So get all the items you need fast, while its still light outside.

Here is a day-night cycle from the minecraft wiki. [​IMG]

First off, you want to find trees, and lots of them. Trees and the wood you get from the trees are essential to surviving just a day in minecraft. Wood is used for nearly everything. Tools, crafting, boats, chests, ANYTHING! So now that you have your wood you will want to turn that into wood planks. Press the "X" button and go over to the planks, click "A" until your raw wood is turned into planks. You should start by making a hut to keep cover in while mobs are out. Also, make a crafting bench while you have your crafting menu up, this will enable you to create much more items. Now find a sheep and punch it. You need to collect 3 wool and 3 wood so you can sleep until day.

When you have your items ready, go to your crafting bench and scroll through until you find a bed, click on the bed and put it in your hut. When night time comes, sleep in it and it will fast forward to day. *You can only sleep during night*

Tips for placement of beds. Keep your area around you well lit by torches. I know you have none yet, but you need some. Dont put your bed straight up against a wall, mobs can attack you by doing that. And don't have an opening in your hut. Congratulations, you survived your first night. Hopefully.

Also, cows drop leather, you might want to get some of that for some armor in case something happens.

Getting more advanced.

Now that it is day time you need to work and get your supplies before night comes, I suggest finding basics like Wood, iron, stone, and coal. Wood is used for basically everything like I said before, iron is used to make weapons and armor + buckets. stone is used for a lot of the equipments, and coal is used to smelt Ores down and make torches.

Making an axe is a good way to get wood much faster. Your fists are probably tired anyways. To get stone picked up you need a wooden pickaxe or better, wooden pickaxe is crafted by 2 sticks and 3 wood planks. Just aim at the block and hold down RT. Iron ores are a tan color found on mountain sides or caves, these can be mined by a stone pickaxe or better. The ore can then be smelted down by a furnace and some coal. Coal, like iron is found in caves and on sides of mountains. Main use is for smelting items and torches.

You also may have noticed, you have a health bar. When you take damage you lose a certain amount of hearts. On peaceful they regenerate over time, but on a different mode you will need to eat pork chops which are received randomly when killing pigs or pigmen. Cook raw pork chop for it to heal more.

Now that you have your basic items and a hut....

You are ready for cave hunting now. Caves are randomly found along your world. Caves are any shape in size, some can be finished in a few minutes, some can take over 5 hours and you can still be searching, finding new areas. Caves hold many surprises, such as huge coal deposits, an abundance of iron, random drops, lava, random water falls, obsidian used for nether portals, random ores, and what we all love, DIAMONDS!.
    Yes, diamonds can be found in cave systems, its just a matter of searching in the right place and know where diamonds are usually found. Most diamond deposits are near lava or bedrock. A lot of times if you find gold, or lapis lazuli ores, you are most likely near diamonds. Need a lot of coal and iron? Find a cave, they have a lot and are willing to share it with you. Be careful and watch your step though, random drops are found throughout every cave in minecraft. When you get down far enough you will find bright, bright pools of....LAVA! A lot of times diamonds pull a fast one on you and like to be found above the pool of fiery lava. Be careful though, if you try and go for the diamonds you can fall in, and lose all of your items! Placing blocks over the lava will make it disappear, but very slowly. Water is found in caves a lot too, when found near still lava, it makes obsidian blocks. Which, when mined with a Diamond Pickaxe gives you an obsidian block which can be placed and lit on fir to make a nether portal. Every ore can be found in a cave system, such as, Redstone Ore, Lapis Lazuli Ore, Coal Ore, Iron Ore, Gold Ore, and, Diamond Ore. You may be thinking, why don't I just live in the cave, bring my bed in and just relax? My answer to that is, you can do that. It's just not a very smart idea. Sure you can start back when you left, but you also have to take a long time to get what you really need, which is wood. Good luck out there with those caves, and remember, digging straight down is a terrible idea.

Better items are more sufficient.

We all know finding items such as diamonds legitimately can be very tedious. But the point of finding diamonds is to get your items to be worth more and last longer. Heres my guide on each ore. starting from worst Ore to best.

First Ore is, Lapis Lazuli: Lapis lazuli ores are only found in caves, when broken with a stone pickaxe or better it will drop a random amount of lapis, these lapis can be used to create Lapis Lazuli blocks, or blue dye for your wool. The rarity is similar to that of a diamond ore. So yes, the ore is rare to find. Lapis blocks are crafted by having 9 lapis minimum and going to the solid block page and finding lapis block. It takes 9 lapis to make 1 lapis block. Putting lapis with wool will make a blue wool block. Another use for lapis is different color dyes than blue.
    Mixing lapis and bonemeal makes a light blue dye, which when mixed with wool makes light blue wool.

Mixing lapis with cactus green makes a cyan dye. when mixed with wool makes cyan wool.

Mixing lapis with Rose red makes a purple dye, which when mixed with wool makes purple wool.

Gold Ore: The gold ore made me really excited to find it when I first started playing minecraft. Then you make it into a tool and you realize how pointless it is. Iron armor and weapons + tools are stronger than gold anything. Any gold items do not last at all. Making gold armor is a mistake since it is so weak you might as well be wearing leather armor or none at all. The only use for gold I could think of is a solid gold block. Other than that gold anything is pointless until the game gets to a higher update where gold ingots can make gold apples.

Redstone Ore: I'm not one who's big on minecraft circuitry. Redstone is basically the minecraft engineers best friend, you can make huge rotating contraptions with redstone, automatic sugar farms, automatic doors, and much more.

Coal Ore: A pretty basic ore, when broken drops 1 coal piece. Can be used to smelt your ores with the help of a furnace. Or combined with sticks to make torches.

Iron Ore: The basic ore and ingot for your tools and armor, all around medium for tools, can break all blocks but for bedrock. An iron pickaxe can be used to mine diamond ores and gold ores as well. Iron is used in many other items such as, minecarts, minecart tracks, compasses, armor, buckets, and tools. Very helpful ore/ingot 1 step below diamond.

Diamond Ore: The mother of all ores, diamond. Diamonds tools are top of the line, they last very long, do a lot more damage, break things faster, and are just sexy. The armor the diamonds make is very durable and you are able to take a lot of damage when wearing a full set of diamond armor. When you find diamonds you are lucky. They are very rare and only found in the bottom of the world. Be sure to dig around the ore to make sure there is no lava around it for the item to fall into after it has been mined. Diamond blocks can be made by having 9 diamonds. I would not recommend it as diamonds are a very valuable resource, even though you can get diamond back from the block its just not needed. Diamonds are needed to make a jukebox for the Disks you find while playing. 1 diamond and 8 wood is needed for a jukebox.

Farming.

Now that you have your diamonds and are aware of how to play and know the basics and some advanced tactics of minecraft, you can start doing more advanced things, such as farming, building, and having fun doing whatever! I'll show you the basics of farming wheat and sugar cane.

Seeds are gathered by random drops when breaking grass. These seeds can be picked up and gathered for when you are ready to harvest your wheat. If you want you can create a glass home to create a greenhouse kind of loose. You need dirt and water buckets. I suggest an infinite water source somewhere near you, by making a block deep, 2x2 square filled with water, which makes it an infinite source of water. So you place your dirt with space in between like a row. In between each row, put water in between. Then you need a garden ****, then right click your dirt to make it ready for your seeds. Now that your dirt is ready go ahead and place your seeds on the dirt. You will have to wait a while, but soon your seeds will turn into full wheat. You want to wait until your wheat is a dark yellow before you break it or you wont get anything. The stages of crops thanks to minecraft wiki

[​IMG]

When it reaches the color f 0x7 you will know its ready to be broken. Also, animals and other mobs can destroy your crops by walking on them, so be sure your crops are inside somewhere. When wheat is broken from the stage of 0x7 it will not only drop wheat, but it will also drop a random amount of seeds (1-3) to help you make your farm even bigger with more wheat. Congratulations you now have a wheat farm and have unlimited bread. Sometimes you will notice when you plant two seeds next to each other they break and disappear. This is because the room has insufficient lighting. Place some torches or glowstone around to stop this from happening. Or make a green house like I did.

It takes 3 wheat to make one bread. When eaten, it does a healing value of 3. It is very easy to obtain as well so thats good.

Sugar cane can be broken and picked up, it can be made into plain sugar. When you get a lot of sugar cane, redstone, pistons, and wooden planks you can make a automatic sugar cane farmer which breaks the sugar cane but leaves 1 piece so it can all grow back, saving you time. Heres a tutorial on how to make a quick sugar cane farm

So you probably wonder what sugar is used for, huh?
    When you get sugar, eggs, and milk you can then make a cake. Cake heals a whole heart bar. Sure, it takes a lot of resources but its cake, who cares?
    Bad thing about cake, (the lies)

If you only eat part of a cake, you'll have to come back to that exact spot to eat the rest of it later on.

Once cake is placed it cannot be retrieved.

Items Mobs Drop When Killed and about the mob.

Skeletons: Skeletons are equipped with a bow and arrow. Skeletons can spawn in dimly lit areas, and burn in sunlight. Skeletons do not burn if they are in water or under a tree, near a mountain, or tall building. Skeletons try to find cover when they fire. Skeletons drop bones when killed. These can be crafted into bonemeal, or used to tame wolves. Skeletons also drop arrows randomly. When creepers are killed by a skeletons arrow, it will drop a music disk. The best way to kill a skeleton is with a bow from a long range. Running up at it can result in you getting shot multiple times before you can put damage on it.

Spider: Spiders are hostile toward a player at night and in dark shadowy areas. Spiders are not able to enter in 1 block wide entrances like zombies, creepers, and skeletons can. Spiders are harder to kill with a bow if they see you since they have a large lunge that can easily hit you. Spiders often move a lot when being attacked. Unlike zombies and skeletons spiders do not burn in day time. Spiders also are not hostile at you during day time. There is always a small chance you will see something like this when encountering a spider.

[​IMG]

Yep, thats a spider with a skeleton on its back. Nope, its not a glitch. The mob is called a spider jockey and is very dangerous. With the fast speed of the spider combined with the accuracy and range of the skeletons bow, its not good for us. When killed spiders drop string. String is used for bows or fishing poles.

Zombie: Zombies are a hostile mob that harm you when they get close enough to you that they can touch you. Like skeletons, zombies catch fire during day. Zombies are used to get feathers. They can drop 0-2 feathers upon death.

Creepers: Be sure to keep them away from anything precious you want to keep. Creepers are hostile mobs that will chase you and explode. When they explode they destroy things around them. Creepers do not catch fire during day, and will be hostile during day always trying to blow up. Creepers are hated mainly because of how they are known to destroy everything in their path if you are near them. Creepers will chase you for however long you are near them in order to try and blow you up. So be careful.

Ghast: Ghasts look like flying jellyfish. They are a hostile mob and shoot fireballs at you when they see you. The fireballs ghasts shoot can be blocked and hit back at the ghast giving it damage. Ghasts can be very difficult to kill because they are far away and move a lot. The only way to really kill them is with a bow and luck.

Video Tutorials and achievements list; Unlockables and more!

Full list of achievements:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other unlockables in the game

You can get items unlocked that can be used as clothes for your avatar

An easy avatar item you can get is a pork-chop T-shirt.
    Unlock this item by killing a pig and cooking its meat in a furnace. (You will also get the Hot-topic achievement when you create a furnace.

Another easy avatar item is the Creeper hat.
    You can unlock it by killing a creeper with a bow and arrow. (3 sticks and 3 string to make one)

The last avatar item is a watch
    You can unlock it by playing minecraft for 100 minecraft days. Which is 20 minutes each minecraft day.

Minecraft Wood theme
    Press "Y" while in the start menu, and connect with facebook. Allow it to have access with your account and let it upload. When it's done you will get a Wooden minecraft theme.

There are two gamer pictures available to unlock.
    To get a steve head gamer picture play minecraft for 30 minutes.

Unlock a creeper head by killing 10 creepers.

How to play split screen on minecraft.

Interested in building something big?

Why not a mansion?

How to make a basic Japanese style home.

How to make a secret room in minecraft!

Future updates for the game.

Questions and Answers

Question: How do I make sticks?

Answer: Sticks come from wooden planks. When you find raw wood (Wood with leaves on it) and break it, then pick it up, you can go to your crafting option and turn the wood into planks, which will then allow you to craft sticks. So you really just need wooden planks.

Question: How do I get lava back to my home?

Answer: When you find a lava pit (lava that is still) or you find the direct source of a lava lake, you can take a bucket to it and press LT when aiming at the lava. It will put your lava in the bucket and you can place it anywhere. Although, there is a glitch where things in buckets sometimes don't place.

Question: How do I get music disks?

Answer: The Music Discs "13" and "cat" are found in 8% of dungeon chests. The disk "cat" can also be received by getting a skeleton to kill a creeper. The easiest way to get skeleton to shoot a creeper is to get close to the skeleton and creeper but keep the creeper in from of the skeleton but still trying to shoot you. The creeper will work as a shield and take the damage from the arrows.

Question: How do I not get griefed? (griefing is destroying other peoples worlds or creations.)

Answer: First thing you can do, is keep your world on invite only and only let your good friends that you know won't grief. Thats alright, make a back up of your save and keep it on your computer. Do this each time you get off your xbox. Then if someone does grief you, you can revert to the latest save instead of losing everything.

Question: How come when I plant my seeds next to each other they break?

Answer: You need to make sure the room has sufficient lighting. I suggest making your farm a greenhouse or just outside. I use an all glass greenhouse so that my crops get the sun and water needed. Also, seeds only plant on dirt after it has been left hit with a garden hoe. The dirt is called farmland after hit with a hoe. Crops grow faster when the soil is hydrated. I suggest a water source next to your dirt in each slot for sufficient hydration.

2. XPGCaboose

XPGCaboose XPG Lifer TeamXPG
    155/188

Console:
    Xbox
    Nice beginning to a great tut. should be a great help to those just wanting to jump into minecraft without much prior knowledge of the game.

3. Bu

Bullet Guest

Look forward to seeing more of this tut, i could of done with something like this myself the other day ;)

4. Davyzz

Davyzz Loser BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    tut finished.