Destiny: Details leaked from secret presentation of Bungie's new game - report

Rocky Nov 7, 2012

1. Ro

Rocky Guest

New details have reportedly been leaked from a recent behind-closed-doors demonstration of Bungie's mystery new game, codenamed Destiny.

[​IMG]

According to Kotaku, Bungie recently showed the game off to Vancouver-based online infrastructure studio, Demonware, which handles online tech for Call of Duty and is believed to be working with Bungie on Destiny.

The report claims to have recovered details from an insightful blog post about the presentation day and a hands-on session at Bungie, reportedly written by a senior Demonware employee.

The post, which has since been deleted with only a snapshot of a Google cache page as evidence of its existence, details a presentation "covering everything from game story, factions, art, engineering, tool chain, graphics, audio, player investment mechanisms, player progression, UI, and web and mobile apps".

It added that Bungie offered "a live scene walk through demonstrating lots of atmospherics, huge amounts of trees and foliage (SpeedTree), particle effects, dynamic lighting and dynamic time of day ending in a sun set", before giving attendees hands-on time with the game.

Describing the gameplay experience as "still quite like Halo", the anonymous attendee detailed their exploits with Destiny:

"This is not a dedicated server game, but there is some simulation and coordination running in their server infrastructure. The game was up and down a lot, playing in a team of 3 we did manage to experience entering a zone to find other players already taking on the bad guys, it's cooperative so we helped out (mostly [name removed], I just died) before both groups went their separate ways. Which is a pretty cool experience, making you feel you are part of a much larger populated world.

"At the end of the day I was excited about the game, I like the feel of being in a large world with different destinations and the interactions along the way. It actually brought back a sense of exploration I recall from playing [Elite] many years ago, although there was no opportunity to shoot aliens in the face in Elite. I'm not fully sold on the appeal of being able to change the colour of a weapon, but I guess it works in China, and customization and individual identity is a big theme for the game."

Little is known of Bungie's new project, which is tied into a ten-year exclusive multiplatform deal with Activision, although it's rumoured to be an MMO styled action shooter.

The publisher said in February: "We continue to lay the foundation for our new universe from Bungie, one of the world's best developers.

"Bungie continues to make incredible progress on what we expect to be a genre-defining new IP that will provide us with tremendous new opportunities, and which remains one of our key strategic growth pillars for the future."

Source - CVG

2. sh0gunX

sh0gunX Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    pretty sick kinda sounds like mmorpg meeting a fps.