Could Mods Save The Xbox One?

henry winkler Aug 11, 2014

1. he

henry winkler Gold Member Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Nintendo
    The Xbox One is failing, developers and publishers are turning away from the console because of flagging sales compared ot the PS4 which has massively outsold Microsoft's console by a ratio of 3-1
    Since the release of the Xbox one which cost over $2.1 billion to market and launch the console has racked up losses totaling $400 million.
    When you look back at the original marketing of the Xbox One its little wonder that the PS4 with its clever counter marketing was first out of the traps with a massive head start. I do not need to go on about the DRM policies and the always on connection which angered Xbox fans so much that Microsoft were forced to reverse the policies, something which Sony took full advantage of when marketing the PS4.

Pushed as an 'All In One' media center the Xbox One started to alienate gamers and make them start looking at the PS4 which at the time was being marketed as quite simply a 'Games Console'. With slogans like '4thegamers' and no mention of DRM or always on connection and a $100 lower price tag it was fast becoming a no brainer for most gamers which is now reflecting in the sales.

What can save the Xbox One? Well the Xbox team have tried many things such as dropping the mandatory Kinect which not only freed up 10% of valuable resources for game developers to utilize but also reduced the price of the Xbox One.

We can state the obvious and say well the Xbox One needs games, it needs exclusive titles that will pull the gamers back to the Xbox One, but with flagging sales getting decent exclusives is going to prove difficult for Microsoft. Crytek have already ported Ryse: Son Of Rome, the flagship game for the Xbox One over to PC due to flagging sales and Dead Rising is another EX-clusive title that will also be ported to PC.

Could mods save the Xbox One? I'm not talking about an RGH or Jtag style exploit here, I am talking about a form of Xbox Live which would allow modder's to play online. Developers would be able to release mods with their games which can be played on special live service.

Do you think this would attract more gamers to play on the Xbox One if they had mods at their disposal or is this something you think would never work?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. s1m0n

s1m0n XPG Supporter
    35/47

Console:
    Xbox
    A little misleading as publishers are not turning away .

Sale wise x1 is still selling more than the 360 did in it's initial year plus the x1 is only out in 15 counties.

Rumours say x1 is to announce backward compatibility at gamescom.

I have a ps4 and x1 both are good but still play the x1 more ...we'll doing the last of us at mo.

3. gameroms

gameroms XPG
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    If good old c4eva would drop a XBO firmware I think many would be willing to trade in the 360 because they won't have to purchase games they already owned on the 360.

Hell look at what rgh/jtag did for the 360, they are still selling good.

Or backwards compatability could also help.

I know it's not the mods you was talking about but just my opinion.

4. Bu

Bullet Guest

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="XPGTool" data-time="1407805110">
    <div>
    If good old c4eva would drop a XBO firmware I think many would be willing to trade in the 360 because they won't have to purchase games they already owned on the 360.

Hell look at what rgh/jtag did for the 360, they are still selling good.

Or backwards compatability could also help.

I know it's not the mods you was talking about but just my opinion.
    </div>
    </blockquote>

Gamesharing = games cost literally nothing!

5. Gamer1980Man

Gamer1980Man Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Playstation 3
    <span style="color:rgb(90,90,90);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">rgh/jtag is great i know lots of people that seen mine and went out bought one just so they could get them done. Plus modding it crazy good it lets you play the game the way you want to play it I would bet it would save Xbox One if you ask me.</span>

6. DatChrmoSchwinnGuy

DatChrmoSchwinnGuy Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Silly article..

7. XPGSaints

XPGSaints XPG Donator Lifetime Gold BANNED
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    What I hate the most about the xbox one is the impossibility to play X360 games on. I got the destiny ghost ed. on the X360 (and my box will die soon) and i will be unable to play it on the one.<br>
    I'm not talking about people who spent over 5000$ on all X360 games..