Cliff Bleszinski backs anti-used-game DRM

IIEvolution85II Jun 14, 2013

1. IIEvolution85II

IIEvolution85II Gamerscore Wreckage :) Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Gears of War designer and former Epic Games man Cliff Bleszinski has once again spoken out in support of new DRM measures that seek to control the sale of second-hand games.

Speaking via Twitter, Bleszinski posted several seemingly frustrated comments expressing his support of the Xbox One's move towards a DRM-controlled used game market.

"You cannot have game and marketing budgets this high while also having used and rental games existing. The numbers do NOT work people," he said.

[​IMG]

"The visual fidelity and feature sets we expect from games now come with sky high costs. Assasins Creed games are made by thousands of devs.

"Newsflash. This is why you're seeing free to play and microtransactions everywhere. The disc based day one $60 model is crumbling.

"Those of you telling me 'then just lower game budgets' do understand how silly you sound, right?" said Bleszinski.

He also weighed on the debate surrounding the Xbox One's mandatory online check-ins every 24 hours, which will render the console unplayable to anyone without internet access.

"If you can afford high speed internet and you can't get it where you live direct your rage at who is responsible for pipe blocking you," he said.

This mirrors previous comments from the designer, who in March spoke in defense of an always-online future he views as a strong likelihood.

Legendary Nintendo designer Shigeru Miyamoto told CVG this week that piracy is a bigger threat to his company's business than the used games market.

Source: Computerandvideogames

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  2. BinaryX

BinaryX Lifetime Gold XPG Developer Lifetime Gold
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    People have to understand that this is the future, an always on requirement is just inevitable really and i don't buy second hand games cause i got plenty of money so got no problem with the drm either....

3. Courts121781

Courts121781 Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    Agree.

4. peekatchueatchu

peekatchueatchu Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Playstation 3
    I'm all for lower game budgets. Maybe they''ll go back to making games fun instead of looking pretty. Those low budget games by D3 publisher, and some Indie games are some of the most fun addictive games I have played in my life. so yeah I don't think that sounds so rediculous.

5. Ga

Gameboy739 Guest

Cliff has to understand that some people don't have money like that to buy $60 games all the time. That's why i'm glad there are used games.

6. KewlMods

KewlMods Newbie
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    well we know who won the console battle already, xbox is trying to make more money and nobody has money for the things they want ps4 is probably what im getting. i didn't really want to switch consoles but all xbox one has to offer is tv and be online 24 hours i don't think so.
    plus its 100 dollars more and still probably gonna charge for a gold fee