Call of Dutys Will be Developed Natively for PlayStation 4

ADDZ Apr 23, 2014

1. AD

ADDZ Guest

Rumor: Future Call of Dutys Will be Developed Natively for PlayStation 4

Generally speaking, multiplatform games are developed first on one platform and then ported to wherever else it is they'll end up. That's part of the reason embarrassments like Skyrim's initial PlayStation 3 release happen. For a while, entries in the Call of Duty franchise have been developed on Microsoft's Xbox 360 and then ported out to PlayStation 3 afterwards, but if what leaker and NeoGAF user Famousmortimer says is true, Activision may be swapping companies in the eighth generation.

In a NeoGAF post discussing whether the Xbox One will continue to see success like it has been, Famousmortimer writes that he "heard that activision is going to make a public announcement about COD changing to the PS4 as lead platform," meaning Call of Duty games would be developed on PlayStation 4 first and ported to Xbox One afterwards.

"I'm not ready to jump on the XB1 is doomed train yet. Titanfall, or really any game, can turn the fortunes, but as of now - yes, good start but valid concerns. The PS4 is above and beyond all projections and publishers are re-calibrating to this. I heard that activision is going to make a public announcement about COD changing to the PS4 as lead platform. I have no idea if this means DLC (I assume MS locked that down for multiple years) but COD was a XBOX 360 game that happened to be on the ps3 last gen. That will be a hugely symbolic move... and don't discount what that means to the masses." — Famousmortimer

I don't know whether this will end up meaning terribly much to the consumers or even if this will end up being true, but it would be interesting to know Activision's (hypothetical) motive here.

Source: NeoGAF

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. xACHILLIESx

xACHILLIESx Member
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox One
    i"m going to go with this being false. Just my opinion. If you look at what the Sony division is doing to call of duty. Just pay attention to clan ops and how there getting away with ruining it with all the modders playing online constantly. Which kind of just irritates me. I dont mind people who want to get online and have fun. But when you make it completely impossible for those of us who play in clans competitively and want to do good in clan ops and we watch a team jump from 150 points to 385 points in 10 mins. I get irritated especially when its comping from sony. But if this does happen to be true just one more reason for me to put my cod away for good!

3. TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce CanEH!dian
    35/47

Console:
    Xbox
    yeah ima go with false too historically COD has favoured XBOX and M$

4. Yumiyashi

Yumiyashi © Grey Horse Pr0n Lifetime Gold XPG Retired Staff
    55/94

Console:
    Xbox
    Lol, it would suck it were true. Don't like the controller feel when trying to play COD.

5. cain532

cain532 Rookie
    15/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I don't see how this would be a downside. The Playstation 4 is superior as far as system specs, so for Activision to consider making PS4 the Lead platform would mean an overall better gaming experience. The fact that it has to be ported to the Xbox 1 really doesn't mean much for the end result, regardless, COD will still play the same, you won't notice any difference and you can go about your 2 second life span and terrible game mechanics that have made the COD franchise a hit.

6. Sh

Sharp_Shot123 Epic XPG Gamer Gold Subscriber
    0/47

Console:
    Xbox
    I feel pretty much the same as Cain532. I don't see why anyone would be upset about this.

7. TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce CanEH!dian
    35/47

Console:
    Xbox
    2 second life span? cant remeber the last time i sucked that bad lol saying it wont matter at all is like saying infity ward and treyarch make the same game mechanics and controls lol (ive always found treyarch sluggish)